Thursday, October 13, 2016

Inspiration

        In the chapter "Into Action" in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous it is written,

"In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for INSPIRATION, an intuitive thought or decision. We relax and take it easy. We don't struggle.  We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while.       

What used to be the hunch or the occasional INSPIRATION gradually becomes a working part of the mind. Being still inexperienced and having just made conscious contact with God, it is not probable that we are going to be inspired at all times. We might pay for this presumption in all sorts of absurd actions and ideas. Nevertheless, we find that our thinking will, as time passes, be more and more on the plane of INSPIRATION. We come to rely upon it."
        
        It is in conscious contact with God that INSPIRATION may be received.  It is where a recovered alcoholic lives.
        INSPIRATION is defined in the dictionary as, "the thoughts of God implanted in the mind and soul of man."  When the thoughts of God are received in our souls we don't need to run them by our intellect, as we know immediately that they are the Truth. The question becomes, has our human nature surrendered to the will of God in this moment so that we are capable of receiving God's thoughts OR are our thought processes propelled by our human instinct?  A recovered alcoholic lives in and through INSPIRATION as their thought process is propelled by the will of God.

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

2 comments:

  1. I've always been interested in inspiration as a psychological component. However, I restricted my interest to the limitations of the mind. To great thinkers, philosophers, poets, professors. My experience is that only by incorporating The Twelve Steps into my life, and, as a result, by locating and developing a personal relationship with The Power Within that I truly began to understand and live an inspired life. As you point out, my intellect and my will were obstacles which only a vital spiritual experience could negate. Inspiration is the offspring of Trust, implanted into my mind and soul with no effort on my part except to trust Trust. I think that's what The Fourth Dimension of existence is about: living in a place I never knew existed but was the only place of peace for me. Without my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael self centered fear is the true malady of an alcoholic. To trust in a God or a Power greater than themselves is an act of grace bestowed upon the willing. An inspired life is one lived in the spirit...Thank you...Armand

      Delete