Monday, October 17, 2016

Giving

         
At first, I had no idea that to possess the qualities that many of the members of Alcoholics Anonymous had took a degree of humility - a characteristic I had not a scrap of. I was extremely prideful, but I began longing for this trait of humility as I made my way through the program.
          In the book Alcoholics Anonymous Comes Of Age, in the historic visit to Bill W. from his boarding school pal Ebby T. (a man nearly committed for alcoholic insanity), Ebby outlined the precepts of the Oxford Group. One of the precepts applies to this notion of humility. Practicing the giving of oneself to another is a true act of humility. Ebby told Bill W. to practice giving, as in, the giving of himself to somebody.
          Personally I have learned that it is true humility which unlocks the door to the grace of God.  In order to grow in humility I must begin to let go of my selfish desires and begin to have a faith in God. This eventually blossoms into a complete trust in God. Trust in God was difficult initially, as through the entire course of my life I had used my instincts and my intellect to propel me through. But, when I was faced with a self-imposed crisis that I could not overcome with my human power, I had to rely on a higher power.
          As the Big Book states, "We trust in infinite God rather than finite self." Today, in this day and in this time, I trust in God. The development of this trust in God leads to a caring of others that was impossible for me before.  An alcoholic who is humble enough to trust in God knows that the GIVING of self to the helping of others is a crucial tool of recovery.

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inherent fear and selfishness were so pervasive to my human nature that drinking provided a welcome yet sorrowful reprieve. Of course, that rendered me powerless, with an inability to manage my life and a complete void of Trust in anyone or anything. For me Recovery ultimately is recovering me from myself. That is only possible through a psychic change as the result of an ongoing vital spiritual experience which can become a way of life, not just a one-time experience. As you point out, I never understood or exemplified humility by keeping all of me for me. Yet, I had nothing of value to give away. Through the program of Recovery clearly outlined in The Big Book and through the incorporation of all Twelve Steps into my life, something of "great moment" occurred. I found me through an awareness of and an awakening to The Power Within me. My conscious (human nature) met my unconscious (divine nature) within the context of my very existence. I then had something on which to rely, Trust. And something to give away, me. Like you, I now know that giving of myself in anonymity, especially to another sufferer, is an awakening to humility as a vital part of my human/divine experience. I trust this way of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael When one surrenders their nature to the will of God the rendering of that experience is a loving giving human being..Thank you so much...Armand

      Delete
  3. All of nature gives herself to us. The trees' beauty as they change colors and rustle in the breezes heightens my appreciation of God's brilliance. Such spectacular seasons we freely enjoy nurture my sense of gratitude and indebtedness to Life. What extravagant blessings are bestowed upon us. As I breath in the crisp air and delight in Fall's cornucopia my wish and hope are to give back more, protecting and nurturing all the magnificence placed in our care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiritual Being so well said...Thank you...Armand

      Delete