Thursday, October 18, 2018

Inspiration

In the chapter "Into Action" in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous it is written,

"In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for INSPIRATION, an intuitive thought or decision. We relax and take it easy. We don't struggle.  We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while.       

What used to be the hunch or the occasional INSPIRATION gradually becomes a working part of the mind. Being still inexperienced and having just made conscious contact with God, it is not probable that we are going to be inspired at all times. We might pay for this presumption in all sorts of absurd actions and ideas. Nevertheless, we find that our thinking will, as time passes, be more and more on the plane of INSPIRATION. We come to rely upon it."
    
        It is in conscious contact with God that INSPIRATION may be received.  It is where a recovered alcoholic lives.
        INSPIRATION is defined in the dictionary as, "the thoughts of God implanted in the mind and soul of man."  When the thoughts of God are received in our souls we don't need to run them by our intellect, as we know immediately that they are the Truth. The question becomes, has our human nature surrendered to the will of God in this moment so that we are capable of receiving God's thoughts OR are our thought processes propelled by our human instinct?  A recovered alcoholic lives in and through INSPIRATION as their thought process is propelled by the will of God.

Written by Armand

8 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more and when I am recovered, I will live in that space. However I am still recovering and working the discipline and mindset at this time. It feels like learning a new golf swing. From time to time it feels right, but more times than not I slightly miss the ball. I need to keep practicing and putting myself around the right people who are already walking the narrow path. I am 12 years into my decision to turn my will and life over to the care of God. Life is tremendously better by all measures that really count. I am learning the language of the Holy Spirit through the inspiration I receive from various people, prayer and meditation. The spiritual life is not a theory. I must be convinced and practice these principles in all my affairs. There is no going back. Sideways sometimes, but never back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim your faith is as strong as anyone's. It only needs to mature. Anyone who says that time doesn't matter doesn't have any time...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. Armand,

    Step 11. "Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our "conscious" contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out." Matthew 7.7, recording Jesus words delivered at the sermon on the mount adds this promise, "Ask and it will be given to you; Seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Yes, Gods promise is that Inspiration through prayerful meditation on His Word and constant prayerful conversation with Him as we walk through every waking moment will lead to the eventual discovery that our very lives have become not our prayer, but His...

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A gratefully Recovering Alcoholic well said...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  3. Michael C.

    Inspiration no longer means an occasional infusion of clarity and temporary peace of mind. By integrating all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that they have become my life, I truly believe I live an inspired life. However, I know that my human nature can intrude whenever I lose sight of the fruits of the spirit. Awareness of the presence of The Power Within me and the assimilation/activation of The Steps in my daily life have provided me with the essence of the me I was born to be. All that remains is to give it all away. Inspiration flows in all ways in all directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael An inspired life is a live lived in spirit...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you relax and take it easy when things are not going your way? How does one trust the process and that things will shift and become easier? I need to continue to seek God and ask him for inspiration, an intuitive thought, and hope that I will begin to relax and take it easy. When I am not in acceptance I am uncomfortable, I need to find a way to accept life on life terms and do the best I can with what I got. I cannot do it alone, I need and want God. He is my father and I am an angry child who is disappointed and scared. I need to forgive and move forward and connect with God each morning to help me be present and live life. I want to blame God for my problems but know that I need to rely more on him and be responsible and see that sometimes I create my own problems and that things will not always go as planned.

    "Surrendering and letting go"not easy for me to do. I know that acceptance can give me peace and serenity. I have to stop fighting and deal with what is and do the best to change the things that I can. Only God is powerful enough to control all things, I have to let go of control and find a way to trust and live in faith one day at a time. Jessica

    ReplyDelete