Thursday, September 29, 2016

Admit And Accept

       In The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions it is written: "A continuous look at our assets and liabilities, and a real desire to learn and grow by this means, are necessities for us. We alcoholics have learned this the hard way. More experienced people, of course, in all times and places have practiced unsparing self-survey and criticism. For the wise have always known that no one can make much of his life until self-searching becomes a regular habit, until he is able to ADMIT and ACCEPT what he finds, and until he patiently and persistently tries to correct what is wrong.

      Through daily inventory we can admit and accept that our character defects are a part of our human nature, a part that cannot manifest if we are truly living in the will of God. We are completely capable of understanding, if the proper work on the 12 steps is thoroughly done, that our human nature is in fact defected. We must accept this about ourselves if we desire to be recovered.
     
          In the program of Alcoholics Anonymous it is often said, "Let go and let God."  The "Let go" part is turning from the incessant prompts of our human nature and the "Let God" part is living in, and thereby manifesting, the will of God.  Living in the raw-natured will of God, our character defects cannot be manifested in our behavior - it is in such a spiritual place that our nature can be perfected as we become the human being that God created us to be.
         
          Self-survey is a most powerful tool of recovery.

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

2 comments:

  1. As much as I've depended on shortcuts throughout my life, there is no shortcut to finding me. The work had to be done - unsparingly, thoroughly. as outlined in The Big Book and The Twelve Steps. As you point out, I had to admit my that my character was essentially defective. And I had to accept that there was no shortcut, no easier, softer way to become whole. Of course, this was only possible by truly incorporating the Steps into my life in order to find and develop a personal relationship with The Power Within me Who had always been there. As a result of that transformative process, great events have come to pass in my life, and continue to evolve every day in startlingly simple ways. Without question, the capability of facing myself from self-loathing to neutrality to acceptance to self-love has been the turnaround my human nature was yearning for even as it resisted along the way, and still does. In response, I must simply trust in Truth to peacefully displace that which must be let go. The program of recovery, as I understand it. And The Gift of my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael As an alcoholic I can realize, recognize, apply cognitive therapy and behavioral modification, set boundaries till the cows come home. If my human instincts manifest in my thought process and triggers my fear I will manifest those defects in my behavior. The solution is a vital spiritual experience...Thank you...Armand

      Delete