Thursday, August 18, 2016

Trust In God

     There is an old Biblical story which relates to having trust in God.  When the Jewish people left Egypt, "The Exodus", God had prepared a land for them - The Promised Land.  The Promised Land was an eleven day journey from Egypt. Moses sent a scout from each of the twelve tribes to explore The Promised Land and report back. They reported that the area was magnificent, a land flowing with milk and honey, but the people there are powerful and the cities well fortified. What's more, "we saw giants seven to nine feet tall". This caused fear in the people. The only scouts willing to face their fear (by trusting in God) were Caleb and Joshua, both willing to enter The Promised Land. The Jewish people decided not to enter. For the next forty years the Jews wandered around in the wilderness until all those who were over twenty at the time had died.  Once again, they stood at The Promised Land and only Caleb and Joshua who were over twenty from forty years ago were allowed to enter as they had been willing to face their fears by trusting in God.
         We each have our own exodus from our own addiction. We became weary of wandering around the wilderness alone. We were ill. We were finished. We face our fears by trusting in God and we enter The Promised Land - a land of serenity, peace and joy. Are you ready?  Have you come to believe that a power greater than yourself could restore you to sanity? Have you come to trust in that power?

Written by Armand

5 comments:

  1. It was by truly understanding The Second Step that I was able to go beyond the expectations/limitations of blind faith to a vital belief in The Truth. The Step Book clearly states that a personal relationship with A Higher Power is available to anyone who practices the remaining Steps as "enthusiastically" as possible. By trusting that precise process, I came to know and develop a personal relationship with The Power Within me as revealed to me by incorporating all Twelve Steps into my daily living. As a sober member of AA, I wandered in the desert of inaction for decades, unknowingly missing the milk and honey that real Recovery provides. Through the guidance of a knowing sponsor with a Big Book in hand, the Gift was actually opened for me and has been flowing in and within me ever since. The difference in a word is Trust. Real reliance as opposed to blind defiance. And peace instead of doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Absolute trust is the opposite of self centered fear. When we come to understand that alcohol is but a symptom of the True Malady. self centered fear, we become open to the idea that the solution to our alcoholism is more than just not drinking. To recover we must Trust In God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. Doctors recommend surgery for me and something in me feels pretty scared. Worry about side effects (worsening what they hope to treat). None of surgeons I've interviewed feel worthy of confidence required. Have to do it now , the surgery, or bad consequences may unfold (per doctors). Gods will for me, what the right decision is alludes me. Go round and round with alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I just trust in God, show up at the butchers doorstep? Does God lead me to the "right" Doctor? Has he and I don't see it? I feel so scared of being maimed or worse. Don't trust or have confidence in doctors I've found and running out of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This idea of being directed by God alludes me in decision making. I feel I have sincerely turned my will and life over to God's care. Fear in this "medical" situation for me is massive. Fear the doctors, disease, side effects, narcotic pain killers, surgery, .....

    ReplyDelete