Friday, August 12, 2016

Become The Being God Created

          When I first walked through the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous I had no idea what to expect. Though quickly I was able to see what worked in others -  a belief in and dependence upon God.  As Bill once said "Would I have it? Of course I would."
          The Sixth Step of the program of  Alcoholics Anonymous is "We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character."  We learn through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous that alcohol is but a symptom of our true malady, our true malady is in fact self-centered fear. We are afraid we are not going to get what we want, afraid that we are going to lose what we have.  Once our fears are triggered we reach for our character defects in an attempt to satiate our human instincts.  The dictionary defines defect as, "the lack of something necessary for completion or perfection."
          We learn in the Fourth Step of the program that it is necessary to find out what it is about us that keeps the Grace of God from our lives. It is in doing this that we discover the exact nature of our wrongs, as we make the list of our defects. In the Fifth Step of the program we confess our character defects.  Then, in the Sixth Step, we are entirely ready and willing to have these defects removed.
          It is our character defects that keep us from the perfection of God - from becoming the human being God created each of us to be and not the self-centered people who care only for their human desires and what they think they need in life.  A person who is willing to use almost any means necessary to fulfill their desires is sick.
          With all of our human flaws we can become the being God created us to be when we turn from our human nature and surrender to His will.

Written by Armand

2 comments:

  1. My goal in life today is to live to my original expectation. By that I mean to live as the person I was created to be as opposed to the limited version of me who picked up a drink in an effort to sate the unsatiable. Belief, misbelief, faith, no faith, tools, no tools - none of it really mattered. What did matter for me was Trust and Action. As the Second Step conveys to me, I had to find The Truth of me, the original version of me. And that meant trusting that I would find The Power Within me by incorporating all Twelve Steps into my daily life..Taking energized action to find The Source of limitless energy and love - The Spirit Within me. Living in that spirit is always available as The Tenth, Eleventh, and Twelvth Steps promise. It is within that realm that I was created to be me. And to give myself away in order to thoroughly know and love me. Through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael it is only through a surrender to the perfection that is God can our human nature be perfected in the sense that we have become the human being God created us to be thereby maximizing our human nature...Thank you...Armand

      Delete