Monday, August 1, 2016

Another Way To Look At Step Ten


        I like to think of the Tenth Step of the AA program as a hallway - a hallway that I must walk down in order to come into the room in which I can live with God. This hallway needs daily repair as the ceiling is leaking, there are holes in the walls and the floor is buckled. Fortunately, the program of Alcoholics Anonymous has given us an instructional manual so that we can pass through, although we may be encumbered at first.
         Another way to look at this is as if God is the light and my human defects are a clouded glass which no light can shine through.  As I begin to incorporate the program of AA into my life and begin to develop a relationship with God, some of the glass clears and some of the light shines through.  As I continue to incorporate the Twelve Steps into my life, the glass clears even more and even more of the light shines through.  Finally, the day arrives when the glass is transparent and all of the light shines through and it is in this moment that I am one with God and free of the manifestation of my character defects.
          Incorporate the Tenth Step into your daily existence and, eventually, into all your waking moments. We must be persistent. Persistence is the time between the promise of God and the provision of God. Thereafter, a life free of anxiety, fear and resentment can be experienced; cloaked in harmony, peace and serenity.

Written by Armand

2 comments:

  1. One of the great benefits of The Tenth Step for me is that is a practice that can become a practice. Like exercise, Step Ten can and should be incorporated into my daily regimen, sometimes into my hourly routine. Over time, this practice can become grooved into a composition that is almost musical in its resonance. One note leads to another, then to another, as one Step leads to another, then to another. It is in The Tenth Step, however, that this practice/this music can lead to what The Big Book describes as the "realm of the spirit." In the same way that daily exercise tones and nourishes my physical being, so it is that daily inventory tones and nourishes my spirit. The result is a buoyancy that is quietly transformative and limitlessly energized. All that remains is to give it all away, thus assuring that both the spirit and the realm continue to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael The Tenth Step is the answer to "what does God want from me?" the answer, God wants all of me and the tenth Step makes us aware, time and time again, that we are powerless over our nature and that our power must come from God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete