Monday, October 12, 2015

The Primary Characteristics Of An Alcoholic

        Today I was reminded of the work of Dr. Tiebout, a pioneering figure in the treatment of alcoholism and early supporter of Alcoholics Anonymous.  He concurred that "the characteristics of the so-called typical alcoholic are one who is narcissistic with an egocentric core, dominated by feelings of omnipotence and intent in maintaining, at all costs, their inner integrity."  In a careful study of a series of cases regarding the alcoholic by Sillman, Dr. Tiebout reported that Sillman felt he could discern the outlines of a common character structure among problem drinkers and that the best terms he could find to describe said group were, "defiant individuality and grandiosity."  Tiebout concurs with Sillman and states, "...inwardly the alcoholic brooks no control from God or man.  The alcoholic is and must be the master of their destiny."  Tiebout continues, "...granted the more or less constant presence of these character traits, it is easy to see how the person possessing them has difficulty in accepting spirituality and God.  Spirituality, by its demand that the individual acknowledge the presence of God, changes the very nature of the alcoholic.  So, if the alcoholic can use the spiritual tools of recovery and accept the concept of the presence of a power greater than themselves, then he or she by that very step modifies presently and possibly permanently his or her deepest inner structure and when done so without resentment or struggle then they are no longer typically alcoholic."
                 In my own experience with the disease of alcoholism, the belief in God in and of itself is not enough, as I had always had a belief in God.  That belief must also carry with it the component of TRUSTING in God to the point of making a decision to turn my will and my life over to His care.  All we have today is contingent upon our relationship with God - in this day and in this moment.  

Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. How can I be totally honest with myself when I've lived such a life full of lies. Dishonesty permeated every fiber of me through and through . I was taught to believe in God as a child, but somewhere along the line during my adolescence, i went very wrong. What happened to this man , I would look at this mean faced person in the mirror, I could no longer recognize myself. Resentment, fear, and immoral behaviors manifested themselves in me. The loss of innocence and early bad choices allowed all of these defects of character to manifest themselves into my very core. Drinking alcohol allowed me to hide myself behind these defects, and never show my fear.
    Now complicated with denial that this is happening alcohol threw my life into such a tailspin that the impending doom of such a tragic end was on the gloomy horizon . After beating myself down over and over again my life began to unravel as if the sky was falling .the understanding that all of these characteristics as described above fit me as a glove. The recognition of all these flaws in my character was essential to my recovery. The 12steps of Alcoholics Anonymous gives us a way to recognize and correct all of this. We gain trust in a Higher Power that takes our lives good and bad , and gives us direction so this transformation or as said in The Big Book a psychic change occurs as the result of these steps. Recognition of these defects and admittance of them allows us to change to a brand new set of characteristics . These characteristics are now built upon a set of values that will not cave to unearned desires . I now can live a life free of the obsession to drink alcohol .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don The primary characteristics of an alcoholic, defiant individuality and grandiosity ruled my life. You and I are so alike , not just in our alcoholism but in many areas of our life. It is with gratitude that we both have found a solution - a vital spiritual experience - and that we can now share that solution not onle with ourselves but with others...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. For me, this relatively complex look at the primary characteristics of the alcoholic can be reduced to a somewhat simple internal conflict. Despite my denial, defiance, grandiosity and narcissism. I have always possessed the notion of some form of inner integrity. I think we all do. The battle, as waged through my alcoholism, was between my self-propelled, fear-driven will and my deeper love for A Greater Power Within me Whom I had to come to know in order to turn to Him and, in the process, change my very life from living in my will to living in His Will for me. In my experience, only The Twelve Steps of AA and their incorporation into my daily life have enabled that transformation of thought and action to occur. The primary characteristics of an alcoholic have been supplanted by my primary characteristics as a human being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael the inner integrity you write about is the Spirit within who awakens for us as you say through the incorporation of the 12 Steps into our daily life. Once awakened the Spirit is nurtured and expanded through daily prayer and meditation which brings us into a greater awareness of the will of God in our lives,,,Thank you...Armand

      Delete