Thursday, October 8, 2015

A Kernel

            The day I stood in the parking lot drunk such a long time ago a most fortunate event occurred. I bumped into the only person I knew who was in AA. Such kindness he showed me - by speaking with me and taking me to my first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting that very night.  It was there at that meeting that I raised my hand and said "my name is Armand and I am an alcoholic."  Some seven years passed from that first night until I admitted complete defeat.  Those seven intervening years proved difficult ones in my life as a direct result of alcohol.  Fortunately, I did survive a bottom those seven years produced from which I could push up from.
                Since admitting complete defeat I have been blessed with a passion for the program of Alcoholics Anonymous which has given me a life, - a REAL life. I know that in order to keep that life I must give it away.  In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous it says, "the entire load must be given away."  It also states, "Our very lives as ex problem drinkers depends upon our constant thought of others."  In the rooms, when I see a newcomer or someone there for their first time to my home group I will walk up to them, shake their hand and introduce myself.  When anyone in AA asks for help of any kind, and certainly when I am asked by someone to take them through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous by reading the Big Book together, I say "Yes" - as perhaps that is the day they receive their KERNEL of faith, as I once did when I was blessed by another's kindness.  Through just a KERNEL of faith, maybe, just maybe, they will be on their way to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.

Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. I had no faith ever in anything. I was a faithless drinker with no self-respect or esteem. The moment I found AA, I found faith in the fellowship, the camaraderie, the legacy of sobriety. But long before I found the kernel of faith within me, I had to understand what Trust was, and whom and what to trust. In the Second Step, I located the key to the truth. That was, simply, to practice the remaining Steps as enthusiastically as possible. That nurturing promise led me to a knowing and experienced sponsor who lived in The Program of Recovery precisely as delineated in The Big Book. From there, freedom began to flow into my spirit, first gradually then with increasing power until I recognized The Power Within me in His fullness. Like you, I hope and help towards a similar awakening for other sufferers both in and out of AA. Somehow, I always felt the kernel. Today, I understand Who and Why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael Part of the full definition of Faith is belief and trust in God. It is the purpose of the 12 Steps of AA. For those who have lost their faith and for those who aren't sure and even for those who have the belief component but not the trust component it can start with just a seed or a kernel. By integrating the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous into their life that seed will blossom into a beautiful and loving faith...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is seemingly hopeless when life is in disarray and my mind drowns in selfish, drone thoughts. Without faith and trust in my Higher Power to direct me I get lost in such a place. Before I knew what power their was in letting go of all the sadness and destruction my disease and I created I wasn't living on any faith or belief that life was a gift and one to be absolutely, unconditionally grateful for. Submerging myself in the peace of His waters I can float where He wills me to, carry others along when their struggles try to pull them below, and let the light come through me so others may see that kernel of faith through it - like a looking glass of truth. I must be that passage others can go through or all I truly am is a closed door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caitlin One can not give away that which they don't have. It is imperative upon us who have recovered through a belief in and dependence upon God to give that believe and dependence away. In so doing we may be giving to another the kernel of faith they need. Just loved when you wrote "and let the light come through me so others may see that kernel of faith through it - like a looking glass of truth."...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete