Thursday, July 30, 2015

A Beautiful Life

          The "Big Book" Alcoholics Anonymous states, in reference to the Ninth Step and the Promises, "If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are halfway through.  We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.  We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.  We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.  No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.  That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear.  We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.  Self-seeking will slip away.  Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.  Fear of people and economic insecurity will leave us.  We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.  We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves."
            If we are willing to surrender to the will of God through the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous then we can be free of the manifestation of our character defects in our behavior.  Our self-centered life will begin its departure as we experience serenity and peace - peace which allows us to perceive life in a way that is joyful. We can then respond to that joy with love for others even though the circumstances of our lives may be unchanged. This love for others is the expression of us experiencing a beautiful life.

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

4 comments:

  1. My personal view is that I was born beautiful, that we all were. Alcohol was the final smirch to that beauty which brought me to my knees in pain and isolation. AA offers a new way of living directly proportional to the work I perform within the context of The Twelve Steps. Having properly completed the first Nine Steps, I am given the Rewards to accompany me to my new way of life. In an absolute and loving way, I am brought full-circle back to my original beauty. Living my life in the presence of The Power Within me is living in beauty. And, thus, living a beautiful life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Completion of the Ninth Step of Alcoholics Anonymous gets us right with the world around us relieving us of the shame and guilt we carried for years. By then completing Steps 10 ,11 and 12 on a daily basis, never do we have to carry any shame or guilt within us into our present. This allows us to manifest joy and peace in our life, a truly beautiful life...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. I know I can change because there is more to me today than there was yesterday. There is more of the spirit within me this moment than the one prior. This development is due to the decision I made to climb the Twelve Steps. As a result of this decision I have become more acquainted with the realm of Preeminent Awareness and less attached to my ego. I would own my defects, as though they were sacred possessions, not realizing they were the tacks that pinned me to the darkness, the loneliness, and the despair of being my own highest power. I hated living there. I hated myself when I lived there. Now, understanding that I must pray for the knowledge of His will for me and the power to see it through, I find I can no longer breathe life into hatred or be alright with acting selfishly. My loudest prayer is the one in which I pray for others now, not the plea I once plead for what I wanted to happen in order for my wishes to be carried out. I must remember, every cognizant moment, that I am nothing if I think I am alone, I am useless if my defects can resurface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin love when you wrote "I would own my own defects as if they were sacred possessions, not realizing they were the tacks that pinned me to the darkness............" Incorporating the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous into our life in such a way that they become our life takes us out of the darkness and into the light. In the will of God you will know joy and peace and experience a beautiful life even though your life may not be as your human nature would like...Thank you...Armand

      Delete