Thursday, July 23, 2015

Experience The Third Step Prayer


Having admitted complete defeat; having admitted to our innermost self that we were alcoholic; having come to the understanding that human power could not overcome our alcoholism; having begun to trust in God as a solution to our problem -- we were now at Step Three. Step Three occurred when we decided, when we made a final choice, to turn our will (which is our thoughts) and our life (which is our behavior) over to the care of God.  Going forward from Step Three we make this final choice that our thought process will no longer be propelled by our human instinct but rather by the will of God. 
          We get down on our knees and bow our heads praying, "God I offer myself to thee - To build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"
          This is an important and critical step for the beginning of the transformation of our thought process, which is essential and must occur, if we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.  However, this is only the beginning.  Now that we have taken a Third Step we must complete the remaining steps so that the transformation of our thought process is complete.  Once completed, we can receive the full benefits of the Third Step Prayer. We can trust in God for not only a solution to our addiction but as a solution to all of our problems.

4 comments:

  1. . Drinking played an important role in my life because it relieved me of having to think about the horrendous way I was leading my life. My family was hurt. It didn't matter. I had been pulverized by alcohol and its ramifications. It didn't matter. Only when I was hurting enough did I surrender. Drinking ceased but my thought processes, mildly quieted at first, remained essentially unchanged. I was left sober but unrecovered. Short term that sufficed but long term I remained empty with only my self-will to assuage my thinking. Making the decision to allow Step Three to integrate the remaining steps into my thoughts and actions was the key to finding and developing a relationship with The Power Within me which gave new meaning and peace to my daily life. It's the only way for me to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael loved when you commented "sober but unrecovered." To me that comment is like throwing red meat to a lion. One can not drink alcohoal and still suffer from unteated alcoholism as alcohol is but a symptom of the true malady. Our malady is self-centered fear. Afraid that we are not going to get what we wany, afraid that we will lose what we have...thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. As orchestrator of my life I did a very poor job. I'm not ashamed to say this, as I know that all my problems then and all my problems now were and are spawn from the limited natures of being human. Turning from such a limited life to one led by the Highest Power becomes vital in recovering from what I once was - a self-centered, scared, ruthlessly manipulative human being. Being conductor, I led the orchestra of my life in ways only I wanted to and in keys only I knew existed. In the realm of the Spiritual, there are no boundaries for what can be produced and no explanations necessary for why and how because the work done on the spiritual plane is harmonious to the soul. As the transformation occurs I have picked up on the Grace entering my life from different places, places I never knew existed both within and around me. Protection results from a relationship with the Divine - a protection so quiet yet so clear, so strong yet so gentile, blankets the evolving spirit within me. Once the bondage is unfastened my own limitations are forgotten and the enlightening path of truth comes into view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin Well said, especially "Turning from such a limited life to one led by the Highest Power becomes vital in recovering from what I once was - a self-centered, scared, ruthlessly manipulative human being." As the program of Alcoholics Anonymous teaches alcohol is but a symptom. With the Third Step Prayer we are deciding that going forward our thought process will no longer be propelled by our human instinct but rather by the will of God through inspiration. Once this transformation occurs we are as you said "led by the Highest Power." There not only will we not drink but our character defects will not be manifested in our behavior...Thank you so much...Armand

      Delete