Thursday, October 2, 2014

I Don't Know If It Is A Good Thing I Don't Know If It Is A Bad Thing

                 Many centuries ago there was a kingdom and in this kingdom there lived a farmer and this farmer had a beautiful white stallion.  The king of the kingdom desired the farmer's beautiful white stallion.  So the king sent an emissary to the farmer who offered the farmer  a quarter of the kings kingdom for the beautiful white stallion.  The farmer, he said no as I love my beautiful white stallion.   The very next day the beautiful white stallion ran away.  So all the people from the village come running out to the farmer and say that is a bad thing that happened to you  You could have had a quarter of the kings kingdom and now your beautiful white stallion has run away.  The farmer he says, I don't know If It's a good thing I don't know If It's a bad thing all I know is my beautiful white stallion has run away.  The very next day the farmer is in his field and he looks up on the hill and what does he see?  He sees his beautiful white stallion and behind his beautiful white stallion are four more white stallions just as beautiful as his.  So all the people from the village come running out to the farmer and they say.  It's a good thing you didn't trade your beautiful white stallion for a quarter of the king'  kingdom as now you have five beautiful white stallions.  You can probably get half of the kings kingdom!  The farmer he says, I don't know if it's a good thing I don't know if it's a bad thing all I know is I have five beautiful white stallions.  The very next day the farmers son is breaking one of the wild white stallions.  He is thrown from the stallion and breaks both his legs.  So all the people from the village come running out to the farmer and say that is a bad thing that happened to you.  You need your son to work in the fields and now he can't as he has two broken legs.  The farmer he says, I don't know if it's a good thing I don't know if it's a bad thing all I know is my son has two broken legs.  The very next day the kingdom goes to war and all the able bodied men are being drafted into the army and thy will go to the front and they will surely die but the farmers son he can't go as he has two broken legs.  So all the people from the village come running out to the farmer and they say that is a good thing that your son was thrown from the wild white stallion and broke both his legs as your son would have been drafted into the army, he would have gone to the front and he would have surely died.  The farmer he says, I don't know if it's a good thing I don't know if it's a bad thing all I know is my son can't go as he has two broken legs.
                  The moral of the story is that we are not to judge what is occurring in our life as good or bad but to have faith and to trust in God praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry it out.



If the blog is helpful to you kindly click on Armand under My Profile and than click on my web page to bring you to the audio files A Ladder To Above - Sobriety To Spirituality which is my personal experience with the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.  You can also access the audio files by going directly to Learnoutloud.com

                                    May God Bless You
                                       
                                         Armand  

                                       
                                            

4 comments:

  1. In Alcoholics Anonymous I've been told to live one day at a time ! That is enough for me. In the course of the day many things occur , I just don't know what will happen next. Whether I accept or not, things will still happen. In the morning when I rise my day starts with prayer and meditation
    To improve my conscious contact and have an understanding of God's will for me and the world around me. Acceptance
    Is essential to my recovery! What seems good or bad in my human nature is a mystery to me in this nature. In my spiritual nature God blesses me with abundance . In my human nature I'm self centered and blind to God's will. I'm not able to determine what's good or bad in matters. Decisions must be made in the practice of the 11th step. Trusting in God will determine if it's a good thing or a bad thing , Amen !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don well said!...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story of the white stallion is my favorite for many reasons. In my human nature, I am impatient, easily persuaded, indecisive, short-sighted, irritable, inflexible and untrusting. Yet, my self-will is irrepressible. So, I will always put myself into situations that will lead to unmanageability and unhappiness of some sort and to some degree. Living in my own will ultimately produces a fearful and unfulfilled me. The theme of the white stallion story is trust which, for me, is introduced as a concept in the Second Step and carried through in the remaining Steps. By understanding and incorporating the Steps into my life, I learned that knowledge of God's will for me and the power to carry it out is only possible by establishing a personal relationship with The Greater Power who has always lived within me but who has been kept dormant by my self-centered way of living. It is possible that without the intervention of the program of recovery in AA, I would have never experienced the peace and love which is the result of the direction God's will and the absence of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael loved when you said "I would have never experienced the peace and love which is the result of the direction of God's will and the absence of mine." Our defects exist in our human nature but cannot be manifested in our behavior when we live in God's will. The trust that you speak of allows us to live in the present, not looking back in regret or forward in fear...Thank You...Armand.

    ReplyDelete