Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Am I Entirely Ready

                 The Sixth Step of Alcoholics Anonymous is "were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character."  The original draft used the word "willing" instead of entirely ready.  I found it helpful to incorporate both in my Sixth Step so that I have the willingness to be entirely ready.
                 As an alcoholic it is difficult for me to give up control, as I want to apply some sort of cognitive therapy or behavioral modification in an effort to control my defects.  For me this is like applying a band aid to a festering infection.  Control of our defects is not the issue but rather that these human defects are not to exist in our behavior, as it is our defects that are keeping us from the perfection that God seeks in us which is to be the human being that God created us to be, thereby maximizing our human potential. 
                 When we are in the will of God our human character defects which exist in our nature cannot possibly manifest themselves in our behavior.
                 Yes I am willing to be entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character. 

6 comments:

  1. In order to be willing to be entirely ready, there must be an admittance and then an acceptance. Without these two critical actions denial still exists. The act of still playing God allows the bargaining. With bargaining power one will modify behaviors that can satisfy human nature. Still self seeking. The admitting and accepting of defects then letting go of the Will, can take us to a turning point. The point of repentance, then moving forward to surrender to God of our full selves . Then one may be entirely ready to give up on all defects because there is nowhere else to go .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don "the surrender to God of our full selves" as you said is the purpose of the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that trying to fix a broken hammer with the hammer that's broken is a no win proposition. In the Sixth Step I have to realize that there is no heavy lifting involved. By living in God's will for me, my defects are rendered powerless, they no longer control me. I am removed from the job of ridding myself of myself. I simply trust and, in doing so, let go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael What a simple but very powerful statement. You said "By living in God's for me, my character defects are rendered powerless, they no longer control me. I am removed from the job of ridding myself of myself"...Just love that...Thanks...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment is from A Grateful Recovering Alcoholic
    Am I Entirely Ready (corrected version)
    Armand,

    In Step 5 we have admitted to God that our complete 'bucket list", both checked and unchecked, good and bad was ultimately inspired by a reprobate mind totally immersed in insatiable appetites. As you, Don and Michael C. have correctly pointed out, Step 6 isn't so much an action that we perform but an out growth and witness to the deep and unspeakable change that has occurred in our heart, mind and spirit during the instantaneous revelation of God's Presence, mercy and love, as a result that now ongoing encounter. The obsession is gone, the prison doors have been opened. Step 6 confirms that the "bucket" and its contents have been finally and abruptly abandoned.

    And, as said in the previous post, "we discover that the heretofore insurmountable and mysterious wall that once concealed the "Simple" in the "Program of AA" has been removed, completely swept away by the unseen Hand of God who created us to experience this very moment and ( in Step 7) many more yet to be discovered." Although sometimes hard and demanding, it is altogether a life of joy, freedom and peace that only God has, and could have designed.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic



    ReplyDelete
  6. A Grateful Recovering Alcoholic The following comment from you cuts to the chase. You said "Step 6 isn't so much an action that we perform but an out growth and witness to the deep and unspeakable change that has occurred in our heart, mind and spirit during the instantaneous revelation of God's presence..........." The exact purpose of the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous which is abandoning self of self to a life directed and nourished by the will of God...Thanks...Armand

    ReplyDelete