Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Primary Characteristics Of An Alcoholic

                 Today I was reminded of the work of Dr. Tiebout, a pioneering figure in the treatment of alcoholism.  He ran a rehab named Blythwood.  He knew "that the characteristics of the so called typical  alcoholic are a narcissistic, egocentric core dominated by feelings of omnipotence, intent in maintaining at all costs its inner integrity."  In a careful study of a series of cases regarding the alcoholic by Sillman, Dr. Tiebout reported that Sillman felt he could discern the outlines of a common character structure among problem drinkers and that the best term he could find for the group of qualities was "defiant individuality and grandiosity."  Tiebout concurs with Sillman and states "inwardly the alcoholic brooks no control from God or man.  The alcoholic is and must be the master of their destiny."  Tiebout continues "granted that more or less constant presence of these character traits, it is easy to see how the person possessing them has difficulty in accepting spirituality and God.  Spirituality by its demand that the individual acknowledge the presence of God changes the very nature of the alcoholic.  So, if the alcoholic can use the spiritual tools of recovery and accept the concept of the presence of a power greater than themselves, then he or she by that very step modifies presently and possibly permanently his or her deepest inner structure and when done so without resentment or struggle then they are no longer typically alcoholic."
                 In my own experience with the disease of alcoholism believe in God in and of itself is not enough, as I always believed in God.  That believe must also carry with it the component of trusting in God to the point of making a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God.  I would also like to add, today is all I have contingent upon my relationship with God in this day and in this moment.  
              

4 comments:

  1. Admittance, acceptance, and willingness are key ingredients if the alcoholic wants to make that critical decision to turn his will over to God. We say "God as we understand Him". To understand God , Bill gives us direction in The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous , he says we "must confess" . In the 5th step we free ourselves of the bondages that we ask of in the 3rd step. The return to either the Religion of our upbringing or the finding of a Faith , that can be realized as spoken about in the chapter to the Agnostic , we have a understanding that defiance will prevent us from the Grace of God. Once defiance is stripped down, usually caused by being beat down, we can then be lifted or repent to accept the Omnipotence of God. For only He is omnipotent and we are impotent . The Alcoholic has a distorted view of self, our warped view is what would be known as our ego. A thorough self examination is required. We do this in our 4th step, the 12 steps are the keys to recovery. Characteristically there must be a change or there will be no effective recovery. Alcoholics Anonymous has given us the solution .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alcohol was a remedy for the internal battle being waged far beneath the surface within me. After years in AA, I now recognize that as an active alcoholic, I had to pump up my human nature in an effort to drown out the notion that there was something greater within me that was the most vital part of me, my spirit. Alcohol was a devastating distraction disallowing me from knowing the very essence of me. My defiance could only be overcome by a vital spiritual experience, not by more vodka. The Twelve Steps of AA have been the source for any and all peace of mind I've acquired since I crashed and burned from alcohol. Through the Steps I came to know a Power within me which could heal me and make me whole. And through that Power, I've found me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don Defiant individuality and grandiosity certainly describes me and most alcoholics to some degree. As you clearly describe, the solution to this problem and every problem is the humbling of our human nature to the will of God by integrating the Twelve Steps of AA...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael Acceptance of a Power greater than ourselves is the beginning of the solution to our problems culminating in a vital spiritual experience. By the manifestation of this experience with God we awaken the spirit of God within us providing a life of joy and peace. Joy is not the absence of sorrow but the presence of God...Thanks...Armand

    ReplyDelete