Sunday, February 28, 2021

The Resentment Prayer

 


While assembling my 4th step resentment list I found that the best way to cope with the resentments was to first pray for and forgive those that were on my list.  In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous in the chapter "How It Works" it states, "...we realize that the people who had wronged us were perhaps spiritually sick.  Though we did not like their symptoms and the way they disturbed us they, like ourselves, were sick too.  We ask God to help us grant  them the same tolerance, pity and patience we would grant a sick friend.  When a person offended we said to ourselves, 'Perhaps this is a sick person, how can I be helpful to them? God save me from being angry, Thy will be done.' God will show us how to take a kind and tolerant view of each and everyone."  As I drew closer to God this began to happen naturally, as it can as well for you.


         As an alcoholic I do find that resentment is the number one malfeasance to a serene and peaceful life. If we are to have a clear state of consciousness that is free of conflict; if we are to lead an addiction-free life - a life in which resentment doesn't cause such conflict in our mind then manifest in our behavior - then we must let go of all of our human resentments.  There is often no way possible to do this without the aid of the Highest Power.  "That One is God may you find Him now."

Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. Michael C.

    Long-lingering resentments have the capacity to destroy every moment of each day. And while I felt entitled to the worst of mine, their overall effect was far worse than the resentment itself. Resentments held me captive. As you point out, direct action is needed to relieve myself of this dangerous burden. I must pray for the object of the resentment in order to enable a healing process. That spiritual formula has yielded enormous benefits to my sobriety. However, I must continue to look for the everyday interactions, sometimes meaningless, which can stir the hive of longer-held resentments and cause disharmony. My behavior is always the telling factor. Thus, the integration of all Twelve Steps into my life is the only process whereby I am enabled to be the at-peace person I was born to be. Every day. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael love that you are aware in your everyday interactions...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. Armand,

    In AA we close the meetings in a very special way. Lets continue to contemplate the "The Lords Prayer," specifically, how many times our minds and hearts have stumbled over the words “ Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive others" and the glorious freedom contained deep within for all of us still living in the bondage of self. The Author of this prayer has called each of us to the awesome opportunity of intercessory prayer. And so I pray, Dear Lord God, today I want to pray for all those You have placed on my heart who have harmed me and are still in the icy claws of guilt and shame over unforgiven sin in their lives. I know from my own life the pain and anguish my sins have caused me and those around me and now out of gratitude and praise for Your forgiveness I want to pray for those people whom have harmed me and that I need to learn to love and forgive just as You have loved and forgiven me.

    Lord, I desire that I become a willing instrument of Your love and yet I confess it's so very difficult to love others as You have loved me. Lord, please heal those memories that act as a barrier to Your grace. As I continue my prayer my mind is also flooded with people I have used for my own purposes with little or no thought of what was best for them. Yet, I am eternally comforted that You have completely forgiven me. Please, help me to make amends to them and forgive them for any imagined slight I may have used to justify my former selfish attitudes and actions . Lord, open their hearts to Your love through me. Show me how I can be a partaker of your pursuit of them. Enable me to fully apprehend that to truly love my enemies is to will the ultimate good of another by my every thought act and deed so that I may be able, as St. Paul says, to "comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passes all understanding and be filled with the fullness of God."

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic it is difficult to love and Forgive others whom have harmed me however I can muster the willingness to do so...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete