Monday, November 19, 2018

Reliance Not Defiance

In the Big Book of  Alcoholics Anonymous it says, "When we  encountered A.A., the fallacy of our defiance was revealed.  At no time had we asked what God's will was for us; instead we had been telling Him what it ought to be. No man, we saw, could believe in God and defy Him, too. Belief meant RELIANCE, NOT DEFIANCE. In A.A. we saw the fruits of this belief: men and women spared from alcohol's final catastrophe. We saw them meet and transcend their other pains and trials. We saw them calmly accept impossible situations, seeking neither to run nor to recriminate.  This was not only faith; it was faith that worked under all conditions. We soon concluded that whatever price in humility we must pay, we would pay."
           Reliance upon God is the basis of the program of Alcoholics Anonymous; humility is the key which unlocks the door to the grace of God.  The Twelve Steps of A.A. move us from developing a faith in God to trusting in God and finally a true reliance upon God in every area of our life.  This relationship with Him allows us to transcend the travails of life in such a way that we are not self-centered and caught in our own needs and problems. Rather, we are trusting in the will of God as it unfolds in our life - freeing us to be open to the world around us and sensitive to the needs of others.   



Written by Armand

6 comments:

  1. Wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and but not least, gluttony. Each represents the essence of unrestrained human nature. All find their foundation in self-worship, none can be abandoned by anything short of a miracle. This is the bucket of muddy water I carried through the doors of AA and were it not for a crippling and overwhelming desperation I would never have crouched to enter through that low and narrow gate.

    Truly, God Himself had been walking beside me all along, even during the most depraved events of my prodigal journey. Loving and reaching out past my every act of unwavering defiance. His only one desire for me? That I surrender to His unspeakable love, accept the price he paid for me and invite Him to dwell within my heart. The 12 Steps and fellowship of AA brought into crystal clarity the faith hope and charity that is the grace of the Eternal Author's gift, freely offered to all who would receive it.

    And having received Him, I have been invited to be a partaker in all that His Presence provides; true love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Yes, just for today, I pray that I will more clearly see His Presence in this world, in circumstances, in people, in the new person He is creating in me and celebrate the new life He is creating in others! Lord, I want to start this day with a pure heart so that I will experience more of the wonder of Your grace and goodness.


    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic..



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic love when you wrote that God's desire for us "that i surrender to His unspeakable love, accept the price he paid for me and invite Him to dwell within my heart."...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. The only area of my life on which I could truly rely was my self-centeredness. That, I’m sure, was the result of unknown and unwarranted fears. Not knowing where or whence these fears emanated, alcohol provided a temporary solution, distilling me with false pride and arrogance. A crash was certain to follow which it did, resulting in the pitiful demoralization and emptiness we have all come to know. In The Third Step I was told that I had to make a decision (a final choice) to relinquish my defiance, and to begin to rely on The Power Within me by integrating all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that I would understand that reliance was in reality among my biggest assets. A life of reliance is the ultimate gift to one who defied his very existence. This gift is available to all who desire to live in love and peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael reliance upon God leads to an alcohol free life full of joy and love. Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  3. When I think of defiance, the words of disobedience, resistance and rebellion come to my mind. Living in my own will full of self interest and fear was my mindset. This was a very lonely place for me, slowly shutting down all my relationships and committing to my alcoholic coma. Detachment. There was also physical deterioration that was a result of living a false spiritual life where I worshipped myself and my fears. As I lost all hope, AA became a light that I walked toward being out of all alternatives. I slowly began to understand I was never alone but only chose to be alone. Reliance, trust, humility and peace began to shower on my as I was convinced that living in the will of God and serving others was the only way I could continue in this life. There are moments sublime, but also moments of the return of fear. Maintaining and growing my spiritual life is necessary for me to see things as the really are, we are here in this world for only a short time and bringing as many souls to the Lord the best way I can is the mission. I learned that in AA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim in our problems we find our purpose and you have found yours...Thank you...Armand

      Delete