Monday, November 12, 2018

A Purposeful Life

    As sponsors in Alcoholics Anonymous we must live the principles of the program if we are to have integrity in presenting the principles of AA.  We have come to understand that our very lives as ex problem drinkers is dependent upon the lives we are called to help.  Our lives than take on a purpose and meaning that we had not experienced before.
              
            In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous in the chapter How It Works it says "practical experience shows that nothing will so much ensure immunity from drinking as intense work with other alcoholics - you can help when no one else can.  Remember they are very ill.  Life will take on a new meaning.  To watch people recover, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends - this is an experience you will not want to miss.  We know you will not want to miss it.  Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives."
   
           There is nothing that we can do with ourselves that is more important then to help someone else recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.  Nothing.  In order for this recovery to occur for them in its purest form, those we are helping must develop a personal relationship with God and it is through this relationship that they will recover to know serenity, peace and joy possibly for the first time in their lives.

           Obviously this can't possibly occur for others if it has not occurred for us as we can't give away that which we don't have. Live this life and you will be living A PURPOSEFUL LIFE.

Written By Armand

4 comments:

  1. Armand,

    The true and eternal purpose of all life, I am discovering, is to seek out and discover the Creators ultimate purpose for His creation... All of His creation... The One who pursued me with a love beyond telling and determination that never wavers came for one purpose, "To seek and to save those who are lost," and once found, that I must also do, that I may experience the joy of His presence not only in this life but fully and unencumbered in the life to come. For then I will see Him face to face no longer through the "cloudy looking glass" of my all too mortal journey.

    As our relationship grows, the cloak of darkness that had once disguised life's challenges as insurmountable mountains of gloom and doom is lifted; to reveal another touchstone of progress on the path to experiencing the purest form of love that exists, that is, Himself. And beyond that, to share the Source of that sacrificial love with all whom He places in my path, both inside and out of the "rooms"... The 12 Steps comprise the simple program that opens the door to the immeasurable depth, fullness and light that is, the mind and heart of God. There is, as you have pointed out, no greater calling.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic love when you wrote "to seek and save those who are lost." The good lord brings this about for us and than uses us to bring others to Him...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. As an alcoholic seeker of pleasure, I never thought I would find the ultimate of life's reward - purpose. I had no idea of where to even begin to look, let alone to search within myself. How? For me, that meant integrating all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that my very existence took on new meaning, value, and love. My life today has been opened in a far different manner from the way I had been living it. The presence of The Power Within me has propelled my spirit in the direction of others, with a desire to add my experience, strength and hope to their lives. In truth, the pleasure of having myself to give away through The Power Within me is the highlight of every day. Every day is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael we find our purpose in the solving of our problem...Thank you...Armand

      Delete