Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Eighth Step - Another Chance To Pray For And Forgive


   As I began the fourth step of the program of Alcoholics Anonymous I faced the four column inventory of my resentments, fears and sexual conduct.  My sponsor suggested that I begin to    pray for and forgive all of those on all of my lists.  In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous there is a prayer for each of these lists - three prayers in total.
      The Eighth Step of Alcoholics Anonymous, "Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all," is yet another chance to pray for and forgive all those on all of my lists and to begin doing the same with any new situations that may arise.  We are already in possession of an Eighth Step list - extracted from our Fourth Step inventory.  As we begin to pray for and forgive we are also making a beginning on Steps Eleven and Twelve.
       Prayer and forgiveness are essential tools if we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body  We learned in the Fourth Step that resentments toward others is the number one offender to a relationship with God, as we are called to love all, although we are never to be accepting of evil.
       The Eighth Step provides for us ANOTHER CHANCE TO PRAY FOR AND TO FORGIVE all those on our lists. This is necessary in order to bring the Spirit into our Ninth Step amends.    

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

4 comments:

  1. "Now we need more action, without which we find that "Faith without works is dead"

    When I made my decision back on pg63 to enter in this recovery process, that decision needs to be followed up with a lot of action. That's what this chapter is all about. Chapter 6 "Into Action." There is no mistake that it's named that. I have to take a lot of action to get the promises. Chapter 6 gives us all the directions, the promises, and the prayers for us to have the spiritual awakening that the book promises to give us. After having completed my lengthy 4th step and reading it to God and my sponsor, then taking steps six and seven which is two short little steps in the reading but they pack a powerful punch in talking about having our character defects removed. I think there is no better atmosphere to work on my character defects than going out to make amends. I get to see how my mind works and how the ego gets tucked in. It's a God giving gift to participate in a spiritual life. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael I believe this is the first time you have commented, so welcome. Thank you for sharing your experience with the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous and please comment again...Armand

      Delete
  2. The important question raised in Step Four was - what is it about me that has prevented The Spirit from becoming enlivened within me? What is causing this spiritual blockage? In Step Eight I have the opportunity to put the answer to The Fourth Step question to the test. Am I putting what I've learned through self-confrontation to the test of right action and real change? To me, that is the interlocking value of these Steps. They must work together in my life to affect my feelings about myself, not just my self-knowledge. In that way, The Steps provide the platform for a program of action and for a less bound-by-my-own limitations way of daily living. To forgive others of everything for everything is to forgive myself, and to be able to pray meaningfully for the first time. I believe this is what Carl Jung meant when he spoke of "the spiritual thirst of our being for wholeness." To truly forgive is to truly ptray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael forgiveness of others is necessary if we are to have a personal relationship with God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete