Monday, April 18, 2016

Admit And Accept


       In The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions it is written: "A continuous look at our assets and liabilities, and a real desire to learn and grow by this means, are necessities for us. We alcoholics have learned this the hard way. More experienced people, of course, in all times and places have practiced unsparing self-survey and criticism. For the wise have always known that no one can make much of his life until self-searching becomes a regular habit, until he is able to ADMIT and ACCEPT what he finds, and until he patiently and persistently tries to correct what is wrong.

      Through daily inventory we can admit and accept that our character defects are a part of our human nature, a part that cannot manifest if we are truly living in the will of God. We are completely capable of understanding, if the proper work on the 12 steps is thoroughly done, that our human nature is in fact defected. We must accept this about ourselves if we desire to be recovered.
       In the program of Alcoholics Anonymous it is often said, "Let go and let God."  The "Let go" part is turning from the incessant prompts of our human nature and the "Let God" part is living in, and thereby manifesting, the will of God.  Living in the raw-natured will of God, our character defects cannot be manifested in our behavior - it is in such a spiritual place that our nature can be perfected as we become the human being that God created us to be.
          Self-survey is a most powerful tool of recovery.

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

6 comments:

  1. The river of alcohol kept me separated from myself and from The Power Within me. But before the river swelled to flood proportions, the dry bed of non self-assessment, and, therefore, non self-love had already existed. Why? Why did I not want to face me? Because my mind told me I was defective in a way that could never be fixed, so my entire life bore the burden of that imperfection. I poured alcohol into my body to try to alleviate my mind of its mistake. Alcoholics Anonymous not only saved my life, it saved me for, not from, me. Deep down inside me, I sensed that I was good. It took the recognition that The Power of Love, The Source of Love was living within me, unawakened through ignorance and fear. When I began to live through The Twelve Steps, I became able to face myself for the first time, and to admit and accept my humanity. Far beyond that though, t have been graced with me through The Power Within me. A way of life I can not only live with but love with. And grow with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael thank you so much for sharing your experience. An acceptance of our selves as we exist is crucial. There are parts of our nature that are defected and at some level always will be. The Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous has the apparatus in place to keep us in a loving awareness and trust of a Power greater than ourselves. There our human defects can't be manifested in our behavior...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia Resentment prayer P.67 Ist paragraph "We asked God to help us show the same tolerance, pity , and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend." When a person offended we said to ourselves, "This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? God save me from being angry. Thy will be done."

    The Prayer for Fear p.68 third paragraph Instead we let Him demonstrate through us , what he can do. "We ask Him to remove our fear and direct our attention to what He would have us do." At once, we commence to outgrow fear.

    The prayers on Sex p.69 2nd paragraph "We asked God to mold our ideals and help us live up to them." p.69 3rd paragraph "we ask God what we should do about each specific matter." p.70 2nd paragraph "We earnestly pray for the right ideal, for guidance in each questionable situation , for the strength to do the right thing."

    There you go Cynthia
    Be well and please be careful
    Armand

    ReplyDelete
  4. The prayers can all be seen within forgiveness' loving eyes. To see the innocence in others do need God's gracious guidance. Thank you for posting these powerful prayers Armand. You are a great blessing. Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  5. What usually happens? The show doesn't come off very well. He begins to think life doesn't treat him right. He decides to exert himself more. He becomes, on the next occasion, still more demanding or gracious, as the case may be. Still the play does not suit him. Admitting he may be somewhat at fault, he is sure that other people are more to blame. He becomes angry, indignant, self-pitying. What is his basic trouble? Is he not really a self-seeker even when trying to be kind? Is he not a victim of the delusion that he can wrest satisfaction and happiness out of this world if he only manages well? Is it not evident to all the rest of the players that these are the things he wants? And do not his actions make each of them wish to retaliate, snatching all they can get out of the show? Is he not, even in his best moments, a producer of confusion rather than harmony?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete