Thursday, April 28, 2016

Am I Entirely Ready

The Sixth Step of Alcoholics Anonymous is, "Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character".  The original draft of the Big Book used the word "willing" instead of the words "entirely ready".  I found it helpful to incorporate both into my Sixth Step, so that I had the willingness to be entirely ready.
           As an alcoholic, giving up control is awkward and strenuous - I would rather apply some sort of cognitive therapy or behavioral modification to control my defects.  But practicing that method is like applying a band-aid to a festering infection, it does nothing.  Control of defects is not the snag, but rather that our human defects are not to exist in our behavior, as it is our defects that are keeping us from the perfection that God seeks in us.  God seeks for us to be the human being that He created us to be, thereby able to maximize our human potential.
           When we are in the will of God our human character defects, which exist only in our human nature, cannot possibly manifest themselves in our behavior.
           Yes, I am willing to be entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

2 comments:

  1. The Step Book uses the phrase "entirely ready" not only with regard to having our character defects removed but also with regard to moving toward perfection. As you so clearly point out, that is the ultimate point. Our defects are not to exist in our behavior as they act as impediments toward the goal which has already been set for us, and which can be achieved if we live in His will for us. But how? My belief is that the actual incorporation of The Twelve Steps of AA into our daily living leads to a personal relationship with The Power Within us from which it is possible to live in the Light. Just yesterday a college friend whom I hadn't seen in forty-five years asked me what my "future goal" was. My answer was - to live in the Light. And it is. To be fully aware of that is to know what it is that I've been searching for, yearning for my entire life. I am forever grateful for the miraculous process available to all who seek Recovery from the hopelessness of our devastating weakness and all its consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael the alcoholic illness is devastating to the sufferer and all those around the alcoholic. The alcohol itself only does physical damage to the alcoholic but the manifesting of the alcoholics defects are devastating to those who love and interact with the alcoholic. Fortunately a vital spiritual experience will heal the alcoholic of their illness...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete