Monday, March 21, 2016

Transformation

           In Chapter 2 of Alcoholics Anonymous titled "There Is A Solution" it is stated, "These observations would be academic and pointless if our friend never took the first drink, thereby setting the terrible cycle in motion.  Therefore, the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body." So, although it is true that an alcoholic has a physical allergy it is the mental obsession which is of the utmost importance - a mental obsession that does not limit itself to alcohol.
                Alcoholism is a unique disease in that it is two-fold (as are most addictions in their nature).  We have a physical allergy which ensures us that each and every time we put alcohol or substances of any addictive nature into our system we get sick and we get drunk or we have the rush we chase after until we get into all kinds of trouble.  But of even more importance is that we have this mental obsession, which ensures that even though we don't want to drink and/or use, sooner or later our minds will tell us it's okay to do so. We will put the alcohol or the substance into our system thereby triggering the physical allergy and we will get loaded once again.
               Dr. Silkworth, the medical benefactor of Alcoholics Anonymous, in the letter he supplied to AA suggests that the thought processes of the alcoholic mind had to be transformed.  His letter goes on to state that this transformation of thought must occur and is essential if an alcoholic is to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.  In Bill's story he says, "Simple, but not easy, a price had to be paid. It meant destruction of self centeredness. I must turn in all things to the Father of Light who presides over us all" - a clear description of the transformation which must occur.
                This transformation of thought was difficult for me, even though I understood that it must occur. The difficulty was that I had no understanding of the power and pervasiveness of my human nature and how all-encompassing it is.  I felt a lot of fear in attempting to let go of my mind which was propelled by my human instinct as it was all that I had ever known.  But it is here, in this time and at this moment, when I want to let go and know I need to let go. It is here in this moment now that I must trust in God so that through His grace the transformation of thought may happen. 

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

2 comments:

  1. The transformation is most apparent in how I feel about myself, not in how I think. That is a benefit and not a cause of this qualitative change, and it effects every aspect of my life. The cause, the reason for this metamorphosis is understanding, for the first time, the true nature of who I am, far beyond and far superior to my human nature. But that has taken guidance, work, and time. Abandoning myself to Trust by establishing a personal relationship with The Power Within me has been the key to unlocking and freeing me from the bondage of me. The certainty of the Ultimate Source of love and care has given me a different perspective when shone through the prism of The Light in all things. To migrate from fear and doubt to Trust and Peace is a loving change in the shape and form of my life. Truly transformational and available to all who seek and follow our Program of Recovery as carefully and clearly spelled out in The Big Book of AA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael really appreciated when you wrote "abandoning myself to trust by establishing a personal relationship with the power within me has been the key to unlocking and freeing me from the bondage of self." the purpose of the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous is to let go of our human nature and live in the will of God...Thank you...Armandp

    ReplyDelete