Monday, November 2, 2015

The Eighth Step - Another Chance To Pray For And Forgive

       As I began the fourth step of the program of Alcoholics Anonymous I faced the four column inventory of my resentments, fears and sexual conduct.  My sponsor suggested that I begin to pray for and forgive all of those on all of my lists.  In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous there is a prayer for each of these lists - three prayers in total.
      The Eighth Step of Alcoholics Anonymous, "Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all," is yet another chance to pray for and forgive all those on all of my lists and to begin doing the same with any new situations that may arise.  We are already in possession of an Eighth Step list - extracted from our Fourth Step inventory.  As we begin to pray for and forgive we are also making a beginning on Steps Eleven and Twelve.
       Prayer and forgiveness are essential tools if we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body  We learned in the Fourth Step that resentments toward others is the number one offender to a relationship with God, as we are called to love all, although we are never to be accepting of evil.
          The Eighth Step provides for us ANOTHER CHANCE TO PRAY FOR AND TO FORGIVE all those on our lists. This is necessary in order to bring the Spirit into our Ninth Step amends.    

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

2 comments:

  1. In my experience, what I think leads to what I do which leads to how I feel which leads to how I make others feel which leads to my peace of mind and happiness. One of the great ironies of The Program of Recovery is that my peace of mind has nothing to do with any piece of my mind. Instead, it is the ultimate benefit of integrating The Twelve Steps into my daily life and trusting The Power Within me to guide my life as I take the steps needed to live in my humanity. Mark Twain said that "forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." In the Eighth Step, I'm enabled to uncrush the past. But to not re-create it, I must carry the message of recovery and practice it in all my affairs. As I understand it, this is the new state of consciousness and being that becomes possible in following the Program of Recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael the willingness to make amends to those on our lists comes if we have forgiven them for their part. The good Lord says don't even bother to come to me if you haven't reconciled yourself with others. Thank you for sharing your experience...Armand

    ReplyDelete