Thursday, November 19, 2015

Inspiration

             In the chapter Into Action in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous it says "In thinking about our day we may face indecision.  We may not be able to determine which course to take.  Here we ask God for INSPIRATION, an intuitive thought or decision.  We don't struggle.  We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for awhile.  What used to be the hunch or the occasional INSPIRATION gradually becomes a working part of the mind.  Being still inexperienced and having just made conscious contact with God it is improbable that we are going to be inspired at all times.  Nevertheless, we find that our thinking will, as time passes be more and more on the plane of INSPIRATION.  We come to rely upon it."
               It is in the conscious contact with God  that INSPIRATION may be received.  It is where a recovered alcoholic lives.
               INSPIRATION is defined in the dictionary as the thoughts of God implanted in the mind and soul of man.  When the thoughts of God is received in my soul I don't need to run them by my intellect, as I know immediately that they are the truth.  The question becomes, is my human nature surrendered to the will of God in this moment so that I am capable of receiving God's thoughts or is my thought process propelled by my human instinct.  A recovered alcoholic lives by INSPIRATION as their thought process is propelled by the will of God.
 

4 comments:

  1. I love inspiration, always have. It's my thing. Unfortunately, I spent many years of my life attempting to be inspirational without being inspired in the first and only place where any lasting effect is felt - inside the deepest part of me. That took an open heart, a searching soul, and a desire to live in peace. Conscious contact, as you so clearly point out, is the serene pathway to a life of feeling and knowing The Power Within me. However, I had to reconcile my past, have shame and guilt extricated from me and replaced with Promises, to know and love myself through That Power. That took integrating The Steps into my ongoing behavior which meant having my thoughts powered by someone greater than me. In that place, I am available to receive the thoughts of God into both my mind and soul. It's something I only know when I feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael thank you for sharing your experience in such a way that we all can draw from...Thank you again...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment is from A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic
    Armand,

    Step 11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our "conscious" contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out... Inspiration through prayerful meditation on His Word and constant prayerful conversation with Him as we walk through every waking moment. Until, one day at a time, we eventually discover our very lives have become His prayer...

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic An alcoholic in the will of God in this moment is as you say exhibiting prayer...Thank you...Armand

      Delete