Monday, November 23, 2015

Giving

  
                 Initially I had no idea, but to possess the qualities that many of the members of Alcoholics Anonymous possessed took a degree of humility, the characteristic I had none of as I was extremely prideful but now a characteristic I long to possess.
                In the book Alcoholics Anonymous Comes Of Age, in the historic visit to Bill W. from his boarding school chum Ebby T., who at the time had almost been committed for alcoholic insanity, was sober and came to share with Bill what had happened.  He outlined the precepts of the Oxford Group, one of which applies to humility.  He said I was told to practice Giving, the Giving of yourself to somebody.
               Personally, I have learned that it is humility which unlocks the door to the grace of God.  In order to grow in humility I must begin to let go of my selfish desires and begin to have a faith in God which eventually blossoms into a complete trust in God.  Trust in God initially is difficult, as through the course of my life I have used my instincts and my intellect to propel me through life.  But when I was faced with a self imposed crisis that I could not overcome with my human power I had to rely on a higher power.  As the Big Book says "we trust in infinite God rather than finite self."  Today in this day and in this time, I trust in God.  The development of this trust in God leads to a caring of others that was not possible for me before.  An alcoholic who is humble enough to trust in God knows that the Giving of self in the helping of others is a critical tool of recovery.   

2 comments:

  1. In my alcoholic mind and life, I had nothing of value to give because I had nothing of value within. Yes, I believed but there was nothing personal about my beliefs. They were really someone else's which I tried to contour to my life. As a result, I trusted only my fear-based self. Fear became what I gave to myself, and pride is what I gave to the world. Under those conditions, humility was non-existent. Upon joining AA, I learned that I had to accept my devastating weakness and all its consequences - my first exposure to the humility needed to build a real life. Through The Twelve Steps, I came to understand that there was inherent value in all of me, even in my dark past.
    But I had to be guided by The Power Within me, and lead to you through that Power. The Steps lead me first to me and then directly to you. All that was left was to give myself away. The greatest gift of giving I have ever known or felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael the passion of a recovered alcoholic is to serve God by helping others. In the surrendering of our human will to God we embark on a life of peace filled with joy by helping all those around us...thank you ...Armand

      Delete