Monday, June 1, 2015

Unique Disease

           
                Alcoholism is a UNIQUE DISEASE in that it is two fold.  We have a physical allergy which ensures that each and every time we put alcohol into our system, we'll get sick, we'll get drunk, we'll get into all kinds of trouble.  But more importantly we have a mental obsession which ensures that even though we don't want to drink, sooner or later our mind will tell us it's ok, we'll put the alcohol into our system, we'll trigger the physical allergy and we'll get drunk again.
              Dr. Silkworth, the chief medical benefactor of AA suggests that the thought process of the mind has to be transformed.  The thought process of the mind of an alcoholic must have a psychic change, and this change is essential and must be complete.  As Dr. Silkworth states "on the other hand and strange as this may seem, once a psychic change has occurred the very same person who seemed doomed, who has so many problems they despaired of ever solving them is easily able to control their desire for alcohol, the only effort necessary being that required to follow a few simple rules."
             The transformation of thought that is necessary to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body occurs through the grace of God received by the practice of the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.
            Having admitted complete defeat, having admitted to our innermost selves that we are alcoholic, understanding that our human power could not overcome our alcoholism, having begun to trust in God as a solution to our problems we were now at Step Three as "I decided to turn my will and my life over to the care of God." Our will is our thoughts and our life is our behavior as we always think before we act.  "God I offer myself to Thee, to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt, relieve me of the bondage of self that I may better do thy will.  Take away from me my difficulties so that victory over them will bear witness to Thy power, Thy love and Thy way of life.  May I do Thy will always.
            A simple solution to a complicated and UNIQUE DISEASE            

7 comments:

  1. Unique can be defined as "radically distinctive and without equal." In terms of its capacity to damage soul, mind and body there is no question that alcoholism is without equal. In the AA program I've learned and experienced that The Gift of Recovery is also unique and without equal. The Step Book states that "he has been granted a Gift that amounts to a new level of consciousness and being." As with a psychic change, I believe that The Gift is essential and complete as well. From my experience, however, it is only by practicing all Twelve Steps in my daily life that I am enabled to fully receive The Gift and all of its benefits. It is then that I am prepared to pass myself on to another suffering person. So, like alcoholism, recovery is equally unique but incredibly more powerful. The disease is no march for The Gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Only through the integration of the Twelve Steps in such a way that they become our life may we recover and through that very gigt, be given the power to help others...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. As Armand has conveyed before: alcoholism is but a symptom of our disease, our true malady being self-centered fear. My disease entails innumerable isms which, together, are all symptoms of acute fear and unabated selfishness. I lived in my own world unknowing of how inwardly it revolved around me, unaware that my battle was my loved ones', too - their heartache and despair a result of me collapsing into myself. My gruesome disease marred every nook of my human disposition. My disease took over my thoughts and behavior so that I lived as a blind and deaf animal would, alone and afraid in the Beautiful woods. But once admitting the disease was unconquerable on my own, the Grace of God came near and drew the poison out. He pulled me from the battle and healed my wounds. This occurred for me not in an instance but through a Divine means which lives in and works through me, as I am transformed each day in prayer through endless love - love from Him, love for Him, and the love I give. The transformation required is a unique one only in that none of us will experience it the same way or go through the same phenomenon, as He did not make any one of us the same, yet ALL can take passage on an unrivaled and otherwise unimaginable journey through His grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin loved when you wrote "My disease entails innumerable isms which together , are all symptoms of acute fear and unabated selfishness." Our self centered fear is our disease and why it is so crucial to abandon ourselves to God by living in the will of God. Also thank you Caitlin so much for sharing your personal experience with the problem and the solution...Armand

      Delete
  3. After many years of active alcoholism, and much time sitting in A.A. Rooms. I was told that I suffered from a disease, the disease of alcoholism. If I just didn't pick up that first drink and went to A.A. Meetings I would be able to stay sober. Over and over relapse continued to be an option . After accumulating some time I would fall prey to my obsession followed by longer periods of drunken binges, of time that went from 2 to 13 years. Hopelessness always on the horizon . I would start off with much enthusiasm but always fell after reality set in due to my boredom with meetings . Was I doomed, the people who knew me, family, friends, etc. just labeled my a drunken loser . Reeking havoc in my own life and others.
    Why couldn't I just get it together I thought, as I continued to disappoint others. The uniqueness of my disease was baffling . Then by the Grace of God I became aware of the Big Book, the 12 steps , and sponsorship. I found out that my disease was unique. Not just physical but that it centered in my mind. I was also spiritually sick in so many ways, but there is a solution for this malady! The solution lies in the 12 steps and finally being able to accept Gods grace so the changes may be made in me to live a selfless life. A true relationship with God, a most unique relationship that now exists in my life !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don The ability to accept the grace of God can only come from a humble spirit and that is what the disease of Alcoholism did for us. As the Big Book says "it beat us into a state of reasonableness."...Thank you for your wonderful comment...Armand

      Delete