Monday, June 29, 2015

Conscious Contact

         For me, the CONSCIOUS CONTACT is a personal relationship with God in this moment and at this time.  I do not look back in regret and I don't look forward in fear, as through the grace of God in this moment I have relinquished my human nature. My human instincts are no longer propelling my thought process but rather my thought process is propelled by the will of God through inspiration.
               The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous says "we may face indecision, we might not be able to determine which course to take.  Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or decision.  We are often surprised how the right answers will come after we have tried this for awhile.  What used to be the hunch or the occasional inspiration gradually becomes a working part of the mind.  We find our thinking will be as time passes more and more on the plane of inspiration.  We come to rely upon it."  The dictionary defines inspiration as "the thoughts of God implanted upon the mind and soul of man."  I don't need to run the thoughts of God through my intellect as I instantaneously perceive them as truth.  The question becomes, will I be obedient.  Is my behavior going to be propelled by the will of God or is my behavior going to be propelled by my human instincts.  The back half of the Eleventh Step says "praying only for the knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out" as my human nature will never do the will of God.
                It is here that a recovered alcoholic lives, in the will of God through a CONSCIOUS CONTACT.

6 comments:

  1. Being in the liberating and humbling state of a conscious contact with God results in a wholesome and livelier me. I know exactly what I must do to exist in such a state and precisely how I must do it - but I often fall short and, in all honesty, fail. It is the rioting of my human nature that keeps me from developing these divine ideations into realities. My human nature has reigned king over my life, my mind, my behavior for so long it has made knocking down the walls of habitual faithless thinking difficult. Through pray and meditation I find a door which opens to the Light I want to own, to understand, and to hold onto in all my moments and which envelopes and directs His will upon me. This Light is welcoming, warm, Godly. I must give up the fight in order to have True victory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin a recovered alcoholic lives in the will of God through a conscious contact, a relationship with God in this moment. Here one can know only peace and joy regardless of what is occurring about them. An insightful view when you wrote "I must give up the fight in order to have true victory." One of the paradoxes of AA is you must surrender to win. What it is that we surrender is going forward our thought process will no longer be propelled by our human instinct but rather by the will of God. Live this life and you will become the human being God created you to be and you will have true victory...Thank you...Armand.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as my human instincts propelled my thoughts, I was bound for eventual discomfort at best, distinct unhappiness at worst. The problem seemed to be centered on the spiritual fact that my instincts, perfectly good in their inception, had far exceeded their intended purpose in my life. Result; I desperately wanted more of exactly what it was I didn't need. Alcohol provided precisely that. Through the miracle-working process of incorporating The Twelve Steps into my daily life, I found Something with which to establish a real relationship and with Whom to be in conscious contact. I had to sense the unyielding and ever-present presence of The Power Within me. Gradually then suddenly have I come to know both the Presence and the Companionship of The Greater Power Within me. And for the first time, I have come to recognize the beauty of my own life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael enjoyed when you wrote "the beauty of my life." Isn't it something to authentically believe and experience the beauty of life. When we live in a conscious contact with God as a result of surrendering our will to God and live in the will of God, we become the human beings that God created us to be thereby maximizing our human existence. Just a wonderful serene place to be...Thanks...Armand

      Delete