Thursday, May 28, 2015

Giving

            Initially, I had no idea that to possess the qualities many of the members of Alcoholics Anonymous possessed took a degree of humility...the characteristic I had none of, as I was extremely prideful. Humility is now a characteristic I long to possess.
            The book Alcoholics Anonymous Comes Of Age goes into detail about the historic visit paid to Bill W. from Ebby T. (his old boarding school mate almost committed for alcoholic insanity). Ebby was sober and came to share with Bill what had happened to him.  He outlined to Bill the precepts of the Oxford Group, one of which applies to humility,  explaining he was told to practice giving - the giving of yourself to others.
           Personally, I have learned that it is humility which unlocks the door to the grace of God.  In order to grow in humility I must begin to let go of my selfish desires and begin to have a faith in God which eventually blossoms into a complete trust in God.  Trust in God is initially difficult, as through the course of my life I used my instincts and my intellect to propel me through.  But when I was faced with a self-imposed crisis I could not overcome with my own human power, I had to rely on a Higher Power. 
          As the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous says, "We trust in infinite God rather than finite self."  Today, in this day and in this time, I trust in God.  The development of this trust in God leads to a caring of others that was not possible for me before.  An alcoholic who is humble enough to trust in God knows that the Giving of self, through the helping of others, is a critical tool of recovery.  

2 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting and compelling insight into the connection between humility, trust and giving. I completely agree with the nexus you've outlined but the clarity you've imposed on it makes it both desirable and real. As an alcoholic in AA, the prima facie problem has been removed from me. It was in the areas of humility and trust that I needed clear and caring direction. A knowing sponsor and incorporating The Twelve Steps into my daily life took me deeper to The Great Reality inside me. That is what is what I always wanted and needed to give but simply didn't have. To know that today my spirit is awakened and alive enables me to give myself in a complete way regardless of the situation. From that awakened spirit only gifts ensue from and for the giver. That is not only recovery but transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael In knowing that God will provide for us all that we need in the measure necessary in all areas of our lives we are then freed of our self centeredness to provide for our human instinct and desires We are at perfect peace becoming able to care for and to love those about us...Thank You...Armand

    ReplyDelete