Monday, March 9, 2015

Sponsorship

                        I have had the privilege of working with many people in Alcoholics Anonymous.   I have worked with all walks of life, male and female, rich and poor, young and old, believers and non believers, Christians, Jews and Muslims.   I do the same thing with everyone.  I always have the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous between them and me.   I simply open the book and we begin reading at the preface.  As we read the book we discuss the material.   I don't change anything for anyone.  The solution, a vital spiritual experience is the solution regardless of what their problem may be.in addition to their alcoholism.   Obviously if someone has mental problems, additional help is necessary for them.   I never tell anyone what they must do as I just follow the material and incorporate the Twelve Steps as we move through.   A practice that can be replicated by anyone.   
                   I know that my behavior is being observed.   Not just whether I can talk the talk but more importantly can I walk the walk.   Am I practicing the principles of AA?   In the forward of the book The Twelve And Twelve it says "the Twelve Steps are a group of principles, spiritual in nature, which if practiced as a way of life can expel the obsession to drink and enable the sufferer to become happily and usefully whole."
                   The following is what they see in me, I am responsible.   When asked to take someone through the book of Alcoholics Anonymous, I say yes.   I never consider whether I have enough time,.  I simply just make it work.   There isn't a greater exercise one can participate in than to help another recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.  Nothing.  We meet once a week for an hour and I only cancel if I have a family matter or if I am doing step work with another.   My emotional state rarely if ever changes one week to the next as I am serene and at peace.   I never prepare for a meeting as I am dependent upon and trusting in God.   Again, I never tell another what they must do as it is their recovery, it is their relationship with God.  I am the example not the taskmaster.
               When we live this life in AA  we become happily and usefully whole.  Let us share in this legacy.  

4 comments:

  1. You have just defined and clarified the real meaning of the word "sponsor" as it relates to AA. I know because you have sponsored me in the exact way you describe herein. In truth, a sponsor is a teacher who empowers and inspires by remaining true to program of recovery outlined step-by-step in The Big Book. I have found the greatest teachers to be those who lead by example so that the student can learn through reflection - a look inward - rather than by command which is often fear-based. By not giving advice and by using the Big Book as a text for life, the experience with a sponsor becomes spiritual in nature, the personification of truth. There is no greater illustration of that principle than to experience the power of walking the walk. I see it and I know its strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael It is a privilege to share recovery with another alcoholic as is the case with you. There is no greater contribution an alcoholic can participate in then to help another get right with God, him or her self and with the world around them. Nothing...Thank You...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sponsorship is the wheel of A.A. What we receive from our sponsor we return to our sponsees . Many play different parts in this function. Bringing newcomers to meetings, sitting down to talk to many sick and suffering . But the true meaning of sponsorship is in the way you have described. Taking another through the first 164 pages of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous is the most effective way and it is the way that has been brought down by our original membership of 100 members. Thank you to all who have done this and to all who have sucsessfully received this message of truth ! We must carry this true message !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don Helping others to achieve real sobriety is the function of a sponsor. This can only be effective by incorporating the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous into the process. Obviously this is the purpose of the book Alcoholics Anonymous, affectionately referred to as the Big Book...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete