Monday, February 23, 2015

Another Way To Look At Step Ten

                   I like to think of Tenth Step as a hallway that I must walk down in order to come into the room where I can live with God.  The hallway needs daily repair as the ceiling is leaking, there are holes in the walls and the floor is buckled.  Fortunately the program of Alcoholics Anonymous has given us an instructional manual so that we can pass through, although encumbered at first.
                Another way to look at this - God is the light and my human defects are a clouded glass which no light can shine through.  As I begin to incorporate the program of AA into my life and begin to develop a relationship with God, some of the glass clears and some of the light shines through.  As I continue to incorporate the Twelve Steps into my life, the glass clears even more and even more of the light shines through.  Finally, the day arrives when the glass is transparent and all of the light shines through.  It is in this moment that we are one with God and free of the manifestation of our character defects.
                 Let us incorporate the Tenth Step into our daily existence and eventually into all our waking moments.  We must be persistent.  Persistence is the time between the promise of God and the provision of God. Then, a life free of anxiety, fear and resentment can be experienced, cloaked in harmony, peace and serenity.

4 comments:

  1. It's difficult, even impossible, to have a relationship of any kind where frequent contact and reflection isn't part of the connection. In The Tenth Step, I have learned to pause, to reflect and to rise above my human nature by appropriating my will to that of The Power within me. While my human nature wants action, my divine nature quietly calls for human inaction as the way to spiritual action.. Simply put, God is in the pause. That is where I have the opportunity for conscious contact and for the inaction/action to grow in His likeness. As you point out, each day provides a window into my own soul and to the peace of mind available by following Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael The choice, peace or conflict seems to be an esay one but ask an alcoholic which one they usually choose. Once having dealt with the past the Tenth Step gives us an opportunity to set right any wrongs as they develop allowing us to remain at peace...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this was beautiful Armand. I especially connected with the glass being fogged by my human defects, not allowing gods light to shine through. Unfortunatly coming off yet another relapse... Your words are beautiful but that is all they are to me beautiful words. I am still so far from a connection to god, some day I hope your words come alive for me like they have countless alcoholics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul Sorry that you are having so much difficulty but I know that you will recover. Continue to read the book with your sponsor and trust in God...Thank you for .commenting...Armand

    ReplyDelete