Friday, December 26, 2014

The Real Problem

                        Alcoholics Anonymous what a beautiful program.  Not only does it relieve us of our uncontrollable use of alcohol but the program can be applied to each and every problem in our lives.
               I came to A A because I had a desire not to drink alcohol but could not stop drinking it.  Also alcohol was impacting severely on my life, specifically my mind and my body.  I discovered through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous that alcohol of itself was not the problem, that alcohol was but a symptom of the problem.  THE REAL PROBLEM is self centered fear, afraid that I was not going to get what I wanted, afraid that I would lose what I had.
              When any of our human instincts are threatened we overreact but when we make a decision in the Third Step to turn our thoughts and are actions over to the care of God, we are really on our way to a serene and peaceful live.  The integration of the remaining steps into our lives leads us to a place where we are praying and meditating on a daily basis.  Praying only for the knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out.  In this moment in the will of God I will not drink and in God's hands all my problems will be solved.  There is a solution to THE REAL PROBLEM , that one is God may you find God now.  In the will of God we do not overreact when we perceive that  our human instincts are threatened as we are trusting in God, safe and serene        
 

2 comments:

  1. Over the years I've discovered that The Steps have helped me in every area of my life - professional, personal, emotional, spiritual. As you point out, each of The Steps plays an individual part in my recovery to normalcy. But as a whole and complete body of work, The Steps have given me the only grounding I've even known in overcoming my unwarranted self-centered fear - the real problem. Living in fear renders me capable of any number of negative actions/reactions. Arriving at a place of peace is only possible by incorporating the principles of recovery into my life and enabling The Power Within to guide me through His Will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael I came to Alcoholics Anonymous because I had a problem with alcohol and learned through the twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous that the solution was not outside of myself but inside of myself. That the spirit within needed to be awakened through a vital spiritual experience. Thank you for sharing your experience with us...Armand

    ReplyDelete