Thursday, December 18, 2014

Serenity

                             I have committed myself to the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous as I have realized that the program of AA must come first in my life and along with that comes a personal relationship with God that allows me to have the opportunity of SERENITY regardless of what is occurring around me.  Serenity is the absence of conflict in my thoughts
              The Step Book of Alcoholics Anonymous says it so well.   "We are no longer frightened and purposeless.  The moment we catch even a glimpse of God's will, the moment we begin to see truth, justice and love as the eternal things in life we are no longer disturbed by all the seeming evidence to the contrary that surrounds us in purely human affairs.  We know that God lovingly watches over us."
             By integrating the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous into our lives in such a way that they become our life and manifesting the principles of that in our behavior we have the opportunity to have a serene and safe life as joy is not the absence of sorrow but the presence of God and with that comes SERENITY.

6 comments:

  1. I recently had a friend say to me , I have a decision to make. I can either do this or I can do that . What do you think I should do ? We have been reading the Big Book together, and we are at the 4th step, but he has been through this before and is willing to see where he has gone wrong in the past. I've been suggestively asking about his commitment to prayer & meditation and discussing how the changes in me are manifesting towards total dependence upon my forever loving God . So when asked what I think about my friend's decision I said : when your thought process is free of all self centered fear then God's wisdom will flow into all of you. At this moment you will be serene.
    "Serenity is not the absense of calamity
    It is a way through the calamity safely! "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don You wrote "when your thought process is free of self centered fear then God's wisdom will flow into all of you." I especially like "all of you" as the transformation of thought which must occur is urgent, essential and must be complete. Great stuff Don...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. No question about it, left to my human devices my thoughts will eventually become conflictive. The Twelve Steps introduced me, for the first time, to A Power with Whom I could have a personal relationship. That relationship is beyond thinking, has nothing to do with thinking. It is, instead, a reliance on something loving, caring, real. The existence of that Presence within me is the difference between conflict and peace. It took incredible pain to finally surrender to the program of recovery. Through the Big Book and a sponsor who understood its simplicity, I now understand that serenity is the prize we are given for the price we've paid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael Any response I would give would pail after your articulate comment...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I have not been sobriety for too long and I know my relationship with God is constantly evolving. I am beginning everyday with the prayer "I am not god and god how can I be helpful to others?" It is not much yet but the instant I say it I feel at peace and full of serenity. I know for that moment I am not leaving my will at bay and am fully god aware. I know it is like a muscle and I have to keep working it to make it stronger but i believe I will get there. Thank you Armand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous says "as we draw closer to Him, He will reveal Himself to us." It is in a relationship with God that you will find serenity...Thank You...Armand

    ReplyDelete