Thursday, August 4, 2016

The Bright Spot Of Our Lives


As sponsors in Alcoholics Anonymous we must live the principles of the program if we are to have the integrity it takes to present the principles of AA to others.  We have come to understand that our very lives as ex-problem drinkers are dependent upon the lives we are called to help.  Our lives take on a purpose and meaning that we have not experienced before.
    In the "Big Book" of Alcoholics Anonymous in the chapter "Working With Others" it states, "Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics... You can help when no one else can... Remember  they are very ill.  Life will take on a new meaning.  To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends - this is an experience you must not miss.  We know you will not want to miss it.  Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our  lives."
        There is nothing that we can do with ourselves that is more important then helping someone else recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. Nothing. In order for this recovery to occur for them in its purest form, those we are helping must develop a personal relationship with God. It is through such a relationship with Him that they will recover. It is through this relationship that they will know serenity, peace and joy, maybe even for the first time in their lives.
        Obviously none of this can possibly occur for others if it has not occurred for us - as we cannot give away that which we don't have. Live this life through Him and in helping others do the same, you will be living within the bright spot of your life.

Written by Armand

6 comments:

  1. I comment every week and The Ladder has enriched me in myriad unexpected ways. Tuesdays and Fridays have become bright spots in my week as I participate in my own recovery by giving back that which I've been so freely given. That said, I can only reflect that when I finally conceded to my innermost self that I was an alcoholic, the channel to my ultimate nature was opened in that instant. A personal relationship with The Power Within me, formerly unattainable, became the essence of my humanity, the key to my inner ego which is the godlike image for which I can now strive by incorporating The Steps into my life in a way that they become my life. My world is filled with everything imaginable to me by virtue of my world being filled with other alcoholics in Alcoholics Anonymous. The reason that today's post in The Bright Spot of this very day is that it is gold. Golder than gold. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael Amen...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ladder from Above is a bright spot for me, as you Armand, Michael and AA community. So many brilliant posts. Thank you for sharing wisdom, recovery, conscious contact and your experience so generously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiritual Being Glad to be of service...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  4. Really appreciate You!! Recently coming out of Doctor, bought I bottle of water and asked the girl at counter if she was healthy? She replied "yes." I said from Spirit and with heart, "that's wonderful. Take care of yourself, you are worth it!" The surge of blessings that passed between us was palpable. She was so happy to "feel worth it, and have it affirmed she was worth it." Each time we help someone, it says "you'r worth it." God thinks you're worth it, and so do I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiritual Being thank you so much. I am grateful for my life....Armand

      Delete