Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Resentment Prayer

                                I found that in compiling my Fourth Step resentment list, the best way to deal with resentment was to pray for and forgive those on my list.  In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous in the chapter How It Works it states "we realize that the people who had wronged us were perhaps spiritually sick.  Though we did not like their symptoms and the way they disturbed us, they like ourselves were sick too.  We ask God to help us grant  them the same tolerance, pity and patience we would grant a sick friend.  When a person offended we said to ourselves, perhaps this is a sick person, how can I be helpful to them.  God save me from being angry, thy will be done.  God will show us how to take a kind and tolerant view of each and everyone."  As we draw closer to God, in most situations this begins to happen automatically.  
                  As an alcoholic we find that resentment is the number one offender to a serene and peaceful life.
If we are to have a state of consciousness that is clear and free of conflict, if we are to lead an alcohol free life, a life where resentment is not causing conflict in our mind and therefore not manifested in our behavior than we must let go of our human resentments and there often is no way possible without the help of God. 

5 comments:

  1. By its very nature, resentment represents a bitter and angry state of mind. Certainly, that is not a good basis for thinking and action. It is simply deadly for a mind deeply drowned in alcohol. Forgiveness and letting go is a must or, as The Big Book states, resentment will kill us. In getting sober, I sought a new life, free of the obstacles that prevented me from knowing and living my own beauty. Through the incorporation and daily practice of The Twelve Steps, I have been granted a wonderful way of living where resentment has no viable place. Forgiving is far stronger than than the injury that requires it. Today I want a life of grace, infused by the cleansing power of The Power Within me. In living in God's will for me, that is not only possible, it is the only way. Love and purpose gladly replaces anger and resentment when we finally decide to let go and to trust The Truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael The fuel for a resentful life can only come through my self will. In the will of God my character defects cannot and will not be manifested in my behavior. God has forgiven, not only the sins I have committed but also the ones I have yet to commit. In His will, this is how we enter into every interaction...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. It's very difficult to get myself out of a resentful state of mind once I've entered it. I start dwelling on the situation I am in, the people and the events which have led me to it, and why the portrait of my life is thus far fuzzy and incomplete. While being taken through the Big Book and the steps I acquired answers to my questions and solutions to my problems. For certain, I am not the center of the universe and while thinking only of myself and why things are the way I THINK they are I have been selfish, even if silently doing so inside the disquiet of my mind. This disquieting battle is spurred by the resentments which I've drawn up and created. Some venomous thoughts are of loved ones, some are of tragedies, and others represent chains I've tied myself to the past with. Being taught the power that He has, the power which rouses love and siphons out acrimony, the power I thought was my own to wield, I've grasped the solution. It is prayer. It's is forgiveness. It is making the decision that He must be Everything because without Him I am nothing. It is trusting that letting go will mean freedom - the letting go of that which has happened to me and to those who have hurt me. What my life is is not a merger of what's happened to me and who has taken part in those happenings. My life is His life, so I must live it WITH and BESIDE him. Forever. I must only love and be patient with what and who enters my scape in order to receive the life He has given me, the life that has existed and been awaiting my entrance. This life is a gift and each day I have the decision to live in it or be ignorant of it. I must keep all of these newly taught visions unobstructed and my thoughts blameless by renouncing all I've clung onto as a part of me. By clearing, I see and by Seeing, I Live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin We have but two choices. One is to go on to the biter end of a life fueled by our human instinct or live a life of serenity, love and peace in the will of God. Integrate the actual program of AA into your life in such a way that it becomes your life and you will live a fulfilled life...Thank you so much...Armand

      Delete
    2. This is PROFOUND, Caitlin!

      Delete