Sunday, January 17, 2021

Become The Being God Created

 


When I first walked through the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous I had no idea what to expect. Though quickly I was able to see what worked in others -  a belief in and dependence upon God.  As Bill once said "Would I have it? Of course I would."

          The Sixth Step of the program of  Alcoholics Anonymous is "We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character."  We learn through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous that alcohol is but a symptom of our true malady, our true malady is in fact self-centered fear. We are afraid we are not going to get what we want, afraid that we are going to lose what we have.  Once our fears are triggered we reach for our character defects in an attempt to satiate our human instincts.  The dictionary defines defect as, "the lack of something necessary for completion or perfection."
          We learn in the Fourth Step of the program that it is necessary to find out what it is about us that keeps the Grace of God from our lives. It is in doing this that we discover the exact nature of our wrongs, as we make the list of our defects. In the Fifth Step of the program we confess our character defects.  Then, in the Sixth Step, we are entirely ready and willing to have these defects removed.
          It is our character defects that keep us from the perfection of God - from becoming the human being God created each of us to be and not the self-centered people who care only for their human desires and what they think they need in life.  A person who is willing to use almost any means necessary to fulfill their desires is sick.
          With all of our human flaws we can become the being God created us to be when we turn from our human naturWe and surrender to His will.

Written By Armand

8 comments:

  1. As the great Barney M. used to put it, "I used to think I would be happy if I could just get enough stuff. The problem is, there isn't enough stuff!" Never enough stuff, enough booze, enough money, fame, power, sex, security-- I had the disease of "more" and nothing was never enough. The solution was the belief and dependence upon God that you talk about-- the sure knowledge that in God's hands, I might not get what I want (what I think I want, that is!) but I get what I need. The more I surrender to that, the happier I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan the ism part of alcoholism is in search of more...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. I believe I was born perfect. No stain, no sin, nothing but babbling-happy perfection. In The Big Book program of recovery, I have come to understand that the model for me is indeed perfection. That is explained as the specific outcome of Step Six if I fully integrate all of The Twelve Steps into my life "in such a way" that they become my life. I have learned further that this is not a formulaic process. It is the daily awakening of my spirit structured on the spiritual program of action available to me through The Power Within me - the essence of perfection. Alcohol took me to the furthest extreme of who I am not. The program of recovery has the salvific power of restoring me to the person I was born to be. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael when one surrenders to the will of God, ones nature has been perfected...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  3. A belief and dependence in God allows me to become more independent as God is my strength and guide.

    Self-centered fear is uncomfortable. I ask god to remove my fear and direct my attention to what he would have me be...I outgrow fear and deepen my trust in God. Surrendering and trusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica welcome back. if we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body we must subrogate our will to the will of God...Thank you..Armand

      Delete
  4. A belief and dependence in God allows me to become more independent as God is my strength and guide.

    Self-centered fear is uncomfortable. I ask god to remove my fear and direct my attention to what he would have me be...I outgrow fear and deepen my trust in God. Surrendering and trusting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for Sharing Armand,

    A thorough Step 4 and 5 revealed that even before I reached the age of reason and well before drugs and alcohol entered my life most every decision I made, with very very few exceptions, originated in my desire for self pleasure and survival. No one had to teach me how to be selfish, steal or to lie. It was as natural to me as breathing. Only the threat of discovery and the social consequences that could follow dampened my consuming quest to satisfy self. One of the greatest saints who ever lived wrote of this nearly 2000 years ago and I'll defer to the problem he identified and the solution he discloses in Romans 7: 14 - 24

    "We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

    And so I start each day with this prayer; Dear Lord Jesus, I respond now to Your invitation. You have called me to place into Your capable hands the trials and tribulations within me and about me. Help me to turn my cares over to You, and to rest in the assurance that Your solutions are greater than my problems. Give me a clear head, a trusting heart together with Your sustaining power as I press onward on the path You have clearly marked before me. Just for today, help me to continually uncover the peace, serenity and assurance that is the immutable fabric of a life lived in constant communication with You as you enable me more and more to serve and live freely in Your your presence, my true Savior and Lord.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete