Sunday, March 29, 2020

Experience The Third Step Prayer

Having admitted complete defeat; having admitted to our innermost self that we were alcoholic; having come to the understanding that human power could not overcome our alcoholism; having begun to trust in God as a solution to our problem -- we were now at Step Three. Step Three occurred when we decided, when we made a final choice, to turn our will (which is our thoughts) and our life (which is our behavior) over to the care of God.  Going forward  we make a final choice that our thought process will no longer be propelled by our human instinct but rather by the will of God. 
          We get down on our knees and bow our heads praying, "God I offer myself to thee - To build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"
          This is an important and critical step for the beginning of the transformation of our thought process, which is essential and must occur, if we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.  However, this is only the beginning.  Now that we have taken a Third Step we must complete the remaining steps so that the transformation of our thought process is complete.  Once completed, we can receive the full benefits of the Third Step Prayer. We can trust in God for not only a solution to our addiction but as a solution to all of our problems.

Written by Armand

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Armand,

    After finally fully taking this fateful Step a veil is lifted. From that point on each day now begins with opportunities that formally masqueraded as complex problems. I no longer linger in fear of the outcome for by His grace I've decided to place all that I am or ever hope to be firmly in the hands of the Master Planner whom I now acknowledge as God. And so, I begin each day with a simple prayer:

    "Dearest Lord God, as I begin this day I acknowledge my total dependence upon You. Revelation of Your truth comes in relationship with You, and Your inspiration is given when I am illuminated by Your Spirit. Therefore, as I enter and prepare for this day's decisions I now open my innermost mind to the inflow of Your Spirit as I lay this days problems and perplexities at your feet. Lord, flood my mind with Your thoughts and my spirit with Your Presence so that all whom I encounter throughout this day may know of a certainty that You truly abide deep within. Amen..

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic love when you wrote "I no longer linger in the fear of the outcome." one of the great gifts of surrendering to the will of God...thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. There is no question that my behavior is a direct result of my thoughts. When my self-centered will is added to that mix, a volatile formula can result. The need for a psychic change is the only antidote for the hole this formula can endlessly dig. The Third Step and the final choice decision to turn my thinking and my behavior over to The Power Within me initiates that process. I must then learn to integrate all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that they can and will become my life. It is in the action of The Steps that my spirit is awakened to my deeper nature. And it is from my deeper nature that I can live in understanding, effectiveness, and peace. But I must continue to give it away in order to keep it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael giving rather than getting is the hallmark of a recovered alcoholic...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  3. Armand,
    My response yesterday went something like this:
    When I was out there getting loaded, day after day I always depended upon myself. Unfortunately, everything was going bad. I couldn't do one thing right. I never really gave up on God, I was just scared of Him. All of a sudden I found myself on my knees in the bathroom at the Embassy Suites asking God for help. The next thing I knew, I was on my way to Horsham Clinic.
    Today when I woke up, I asked God to guide me and give me direction and asked for His help to keep me free from fear & anger and to help me let go of any resentments I might still be holding on to. And then, I said the 3rd Step Prayer. It is something I still do, day after day. Why? Because I can't do this alone. I need His help today, along with the help of everyone He puts into my life.
    I'm so grateful that I didn't get what I deserved.
    Have a grateful day.
    Sid P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sid Welcome to ladder To Above. Surrender of our nature is necessary to live the life God has for us...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete