Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Admit And Accept

IIn The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions it is written: "A continuous look at our assets and liabilities, and a real desire to learn and grow by this means, are necessities for us. We alcoholics have learned this the hard way. More experienced people, of course, in all times and places have practiced unsparing self-survey and criticism. For the wise have always known that no one can make much of his life until self-searching becomes a regular habit, until he is able to ADMIT and ACCEPT what he finds, and until he patiently and persistently tries to correct what is wrong.

      Through daily inventory we can admit and accept that our character defects are a part of our human nature, a part that cannot manifest if we are truly living in the will of God. We are completely capable of understanding, if the proper work on the 12 steps is thoroughly done, that our human nature is in fact defected. We must accept this about ourselves if we desire to be recovered.
       In the program of Alcoholics Anonymous it is often said, "Let go and let God."  The "Let go" part is turning from the incessant prompts of our human nature and the "Let God" part is living in, and thereby manifesting, the will of God.  Living in the raw-natured will of God, our character defects cannot be manifested in our behavior - it is in such a spiritual place that our nature can be perfected as we become the human being that God created us to be.
          Self-survey is a most powerful tool of recovery.

Written by Armand

6 comments:

  1. It is also written that "self-searching is the means by which we bring new vision, action, and grace to bear upon the dark and negative sides of our nature." I had to admit before I began to search. The Big Book program of recovery enabled me to come face-to-face with myself, thus beginning the initial look inward. Then, I had to accept what I confronted in me and commit to a deeper search for The Power Within me. That was possible only by integrating all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that, paradoxically, admitting and accepting became the easier, softer way - the direct route to me and to The Power Within me. White-knuckled hanging on to myself was not the prize that recovery through sobriety offered me. But I had to first admit and accept in order to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael self survey lives in the present and is done without effort on our part once our nature has been surrendered to the will of God...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Armand, Another Super Post. When I take a sponsee through Step No.4 and Step No. 5 I have the sponsee prepare a list of character defects or moral shortcomings and then it is that list where we focus our attention on correction of those defects. We are in the character rebuilding business. The AA Program teaches us constant self evaluation and constant correction of moral shortcoming. We learn ethical behavior. Here is a partial list of my moral shortcomings upon entry into the AA way of life; Impatience, dishonest, thief, self possessed, filled with judgements, having committed adultery, cheating , resentful, and many more. All the Best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John thanks for sharing your experience...Armand

      Delete
  4. Armand,


    That I am now gratefully at peace with the knowledge that not only this life, but also my eternal destination is secure, is a miracle. Through Gods grace I've abandoned my desire to become my own worst nightmare and, by His grace, have fully accepted the future He has planned for me before the foundations of space and time. I need only humbly place my weaknesses before Him and failure is replaced by forgiveness and fear is replaced by faith.

    And so I pray: Holy Father, as I begin this new day I exalt You by seeking to uphold righteousness in my life, which only comes from being right with You. I humbly confess whatever may keep me from being in a right relationship with You. Forgive me for the idols of my heart. Forgive me for being insensitive to other peoples needs. Forgive me for any self-sufficiency that makes it difficult to hear Your loving direction throughout this day. It is by faith in You that I am made righteous in Your sight. Help me to humbly trust You and follow Your guidance in all that I say and do. Empower me today, Lord, to do what You would have me to do. Show me Your way..



    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic Great prayer....Thanks

      Delete