Wednesday, January 22, 2020

To Know Peace

In Chapter 4 of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous it says, "...we had to fearlessly face the proposition that God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is, or He isn't. What was our choice to be?"  When I came to the very point in my recovery where I had no desire to turn back to my old life but I was fearful of letting go of my nature (and living in the will of God), the above statement had to be answered.   I may have answered in the affirmative earlier in my recovery but it wasn't until that precise moment that I fully understood what was being asked of me - or rather, required of me.
          If we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body; if we are to be free of  manifesting our human defects in our behavior; if we are to live a life where we are tolerant and loving of all but never accepting of evil, if we are to live a life free from fear, anxiety and anger, if we are to be respected and loved and posses the spirit of charity forgiveness and  joy - not because everything in life is as our human nature thinks it ought to be but because God is with us.  Joy is not the absence of sorrow but the presence of God.
           For the first time in my life I had become fully alive as the Spirit was fully awakened within me. I became and am the human being that God created me to be, maximizing my human potential, free of conflict, and at peace.
           I am aware of what is required of me, and I have answered "Yes, God is everything." What will your answer be?
Written By Armand

6 comments:

  1. I had to go through the pain of letting go of myself in order to find The Power Within me. It is only with That Power that I am the man I was created to be. There is no other way. The manner in which that certainty manifests itself in my life is primarily measured by my relationships with others. Am I truly free of my most egregious defects? Am I tolerant, loving, caring? Do I suit up and show up for others even when inconvenient for me? Am I looking for the bright spot in my fellows, as it is always shining back at me when I do. Like you, I believe that there are requirements for permanent sobriety and a contented, useful life. I am required to integrate all Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that they become my life, That is a small price to pay for that which I've been so freely given. And for what I must continue to give away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael loved your analogy of measuring yourself by your relationships with others. It is why Step 9 is before 11. The good Lord says not to bother coming around here until you get right with your Brothers and sisters...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, God is everything. My desire is to live in the will of God, being at peace within myself and with others.
    I surrender and trust God.

    I was crushed by a self-imposed crisis. My circumstances made me willing to believe. I practice morning meditation, deepening my relationship with God. He is the director, my loving father. As I draw near to him, he discloses himself. ♥️
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica beautiful reply...thank you...armand

      Delete
  4. All Twelve Steps clearly declare this one foundational premise and promise: No God, no peace. Know God, know peace. The 12 Steps show the unique and only process, borrowed from the Holy Bible, that the original writers proclaim brought them into a sustained life of regeneration and sobriety.. It is God alone who performs this miracle from within and eternal gratitude on my part seems far too inadequate a term to describe my unspeakable appreciation for His direct intervention into the death spiral that defined my life..

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic either God is or He isn't. Either He is everything or He is nothing. What was our choice to be?...Thank you....Armand

    ReplyDelete