Monday, January 20, 2020

Another Way To Look At Step Ten

I like to think of the Tenth Step of the AA program as a hallway - a hallway that I must walk down in order to come into the room in which I can live with God. This hallway needs daily repair as the ceiling is leaking, there are holes in the walls and the floor is buckled. Fortunately, the program of Alcoholics Anonymous has given us an instructional manual so that we can pass through, although we may be encumbered at first.
         Another way to look at this is as if God is the light and my human defects are a clouded glass which no light can shine through.  As I begin to incorporate the program of AA into my life and begin to develop a relationship with God, some of the glass clears and some of the light shines through.  As I continue to incorporate the Twelve Steps into my life, the glass clears even more and even more of the light shines through.  Finally, the day arrives when the glass is transparent and all of the light shines through and it is in this moment that I am one with God and free of the manifestation of my character defects.
          Incorporate the Tenth Step into your daily existence and, eventually, into all your waking moments. We must be persistent. Persistence is the time between the promise of God and the provision of God. Thereafter, a life free of anxiety, fear and resentment can be experienced; cloaked in harmony, peace and serenity.

Written By Armand

4 comments:

  1. If Steps Four through Nine are known as "the action steps," then Steps Ten through Twelve are "the energy steps - at least, for me. It is through the continued awareness of the presence of The Power Within me that I am enabled and energized to move toward self-transparency in my thoughts and in my daily actions. As a result, I am certain that The Power is being awakened within me, and that with That Power, I am whole. My next function is to grow in understanding and effectiveness - two magnificent goals of both sobriety and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael a great way to live. For us, the only way...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. I like the shaded glass analogy. I believe as we experience this world, the glass between ourselves and God slowly is painted over, and the Light is clouded out. And it is only in our own brokenness that the painted glass is cracked and light begins to peak through the glass. That brokenness in my life was my willingness to try AA. I was required to be broken before I could be blessed by the message of AA that I received when I did the steps with my sponsor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim what a blessing that we were broken...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete