Monday, April 1, 2019

i Don't Know If it's A Good Thing I Don't Know If It's A Bad Thing


        Many centuries ago there was a kingdom and in this kingdom there lived a farmer. The farmer owned a beautiful white stallion.  The king of the kingdom desired the farmer's beautiful white stallion so he sent an emissary to the farmer who offered the farmer a quarter of the king's kingdom for his beautiful white stallion. The farmer said, "No, as I love my beautiful white stallion." The very next day the beautiful white stallion ran away and all of the people from the village came running out to the farmer saying, "What a bad thing that happened to you, you could have had a quarter of the king's kingdom and now your beautiful white stallion has run away."  The farmer said, "I don't know if it's a good thing, I don't know if it's a bad thing, all I know is my beautiful white stallion has run away." 
          The very next day the farmer was in his field when he looked up on the hill beyond and saw his beautiful white stallion.  Behind his beautiful white stallion were four more white stallions just as beautiful as his. All the people from the village came running out to the farmer saying, "It's a good thing you didn't trade your beautiful white stallion for a quarter of the king's kingdom, as now you have FIVE beautiful white stallions. You could probably get half of the king's kingdom now!"  The farmer said, "I don't know if it's a good thing, I don't know if it's a bad thing, all I know is I now have five beautiful white stallions." 
          The very next day the farmer's son was breaking in one of the wild white stallions when he was thrown from the stallion and broke both of his legs.  So now, all the people from the village came running out to the farmer saying, "What a bad thing that has happened to you. You need your son to work in the fields and now he can't as he has two broken legs."  The farmer replied, "I don't know if it's a good thing, I don't know if it's a bad thing, all I know is that my son has two broken legs." 
         The very next day the kingdom goes to war and all the able-bodied men are drafted into the army after which they will go to the front end and they will surely die. The farmer's injured son could not go as he had two broken legs.  So, all the people from the village came running out to the farmer saying, "That is a good thing that your son was thrown from the wild white stallion and broke both his legs, as he would have been drafted into the army, been sent to the front end and would have surely died."  The farmer replied, "I don't know if it's a good thing, I don't know if it's a bad thing, all I know is my son can't go as he has two broken legs."
          The moral of the story is that we are not to judge what is occurring in our life as "good" or "bad", but to have faith and trust in God, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. The relief from the pressure of self-judgement and other-judgement is just as the farmer expressed it. Nothing is really good or bad except for my responsibility and my reactions as a sober person. In The Big Book program of recovery, the true differentiator is whether I have integrated all Twelve Steps into my life until they have become my life.....or not. If so I can not only understand the farmer, I can become the farmer. If not, I am left with me as the sole source of my state of mind (will) and my actions (behavior). When I walked into my first AA meeting, I was the sole source. In the ensuing years I have become aware and have developed a personal relationship with the soul source, The Power Within me. Rather than good or bad, everything just is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael the serenity in the present not fearful as life unfolds is a direct result of a complete surrender to the Lord...thank you....Armand

      Delete
  2. Armand,

    This is truly one of the most miraculous apprehensions of deep faith and humility that can be acquired. Resting in the absolute understanding that Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose," is the cornerstone upon which experiential serenity is constructed. Many thanks for once again teasing this topic to life.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Grateful Recovering Alcoholic god will lead us to the life we are meant to live...thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete