Thursday, April 18, 2019

Am I Entirely Ready

The Sixth Step of Alcoholics Anonymous is, "Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character".  The original draft of the Big Book used the word "willing" instead of the words "entirely ready".  I found it helpful to incorporate both into my Sixth Step, so that I had the willingness to be entirely ready.
           As an alcoholic, giving up control is awkward and strenuous - I would rather apply some sort of cognitive therapy or behavioral modification to control my defects.  But practicing that method is like applying a band-aid to a festering infection, it does nothing.  Control of defects is not the snag, but rather that our human defects are not to exist in our behavior, as it is our defects that are keeping us from the perfection that God seeks in us.  God seeks for us to be the human being that He created us to be, thereby able to maximize our human potential.
           When we are in the will of God our human character defects, which exist only in our human nature, cannot possibly manifest themselves in our behavior.
           Yes, I am willing to be entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character

Written By Armand

5 comments:

  1. Michael C.

    We all know the folly of control whereby we attempt to manage each situation as our minds and our will power dictate. To be able to let that all-consuming dictator go has been a Sixth Step process for me. The program of recovery has shown me that it is in my mind that my character defects exist, aided by my relentless will to carry out each folly. In Step Six, as you point out, I had to first be willing and then become ready to let go. How was that possible? Completing the initial five steps under the guidance of a knowing and caring sponsor allowed me to look back on what I had been doing with my life, and how it had been leading me. In the search for the ultimate truth, I found that I had to come to know and then love myself in order to live as the person I was born to be. The gift of recovery is the awareness of who I am as personified by The Power Within me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael uncertainty in human affairs is the downfall of the alcoholic relieved by letting go and letting God...thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Armand,

    In Step 5 we have admitted to God that our complete 'bucket list", both checked and unchecked, good and bad was ultimately inspired by a reprobate mind totally immersed in insatiable appetites. Step 6 isn't so much an action that we perform but an out growth and witness to the deep and unspeakable change that has occurred in our heart, mind and spirit during the ongoing revelation of God's presence, mercy and love. The obsession is gone, the prison doors have been opened. Step 6 confirms our abandoned plans as we continue the ongoing surrender of our will and our lives to the One who has all power.

    And, as said in a previous post, "We discover that the heretofore insurmountable and mysterious wall that once concealed the "Simple" in the Program of AA has been removed, completely swept away by the unseen Hand of God who created us to experience this very moment and in Step 7 many more yet to be discovered." Although sometimes hard and demanding, it is altogether a life of joy, freedom and peace that only God has, and could have designed.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic



    ReplyDelete
  4. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic destruction of self is necessary if one is to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keen, clear, and to me, useful always when in the will of God, or even questioning the will of God. Last two sentences in your blog are a fine way
    to think & practice coming into a finer undertaking in receiving the Lord's will.. Thank you for the Easter message, and its clarity. Peace I. 000

    Irene

    ReplyDelete