Monday, January 14, 2019

Admit And Accept

In The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions it is written: "A continuous look at our assets and liabilities, and a real desire to learn and grow by this means, are necessities for us. We alcoholics have learned this the hard way. More experienced people, of course, in all times and places have practiced unsparing self-survey and criticism. For the wise have always known that no one can make much of his life until self-searching becomes a regular habit, until he is able to ADMIT and ACCEPT what he finds, and until he patiently and persistently tries to correct what is wrong.

      Through daily inventory we can admit and accept that our character defects are a part of our human nature, a part that cannot manifest if we are truly living in the will of God. We are completely capable of understanding, if the proper work on the 12 steps is thoroughly done, that our human nature is in fact defected. We must accept this about ourselves if we desire to be recovered.
       In the program of Alcoholics Anonymous it is often said, "Let go and let God."  The "Let go" part is turning from the incessant prompts of our human nature and the "Let God" part is living in, and thereby manifesting, the will of God.  Living in the raw-natured will of God, our character defects cannot be manifested in our behavior - it is in such a spiritual place that our nature can be perfected as we become the human being that God created us to be.
          Self-survey is a most powerful tool of recovery.

Written by Armand

8 comments:

  1. The practice of self-survey yields both immediate and long-term results. Immediately, I become aware that by integrating all Twelve Steps into my life I will have a new life - a life I will lead through The Power Within me. Longer term, I will understand that "self-searching is the means by which we bring vision, action, and grace to bear upon the dark and negative sides of our nature." Short-term or long-term, the goal is the same: to return me to the caring and loving individual I was born to be before my nature was darkened by fear and pride. The person I could be is the person I was born to be. I become whole. Admitting and accepting, as you point out, is the basis for growing and understanding. Growing to be me and accepting and understanding the me I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael love when you wrote 'admitting and accepting, is the basis for growing and understanding.""...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. Armand, thank you for this entry. It contains a LOT. Letting go (turning from the incessant prompts of our human nature) is extremely difficult. It isn’t an overnight change — at least not for me! My human nature has a strong hold on me and it is taking me and going to continue taking me a long time to master turning from it. I am trying but need to try harder, I guess. Then, living in the will of God is huge too! I so want to “Let God.” My human nature makes me miserable. To walk in the will of God so that my human nature cannot be manifested ... that sounds like the Kingdom of Heaven to which Richard Rohr’s blog entry of today refers. For me, these two ideas (I’m not sure what to call them) turning from our human nature and living in the will of God are so big!!! You speak of them like they are simple. I’m grappling with them. Help!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noreen as Bill W says "simple but not easy. It meant destruction of self. We had to turn to the Light in all things."...thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Armand,

    It was my base instinct for survival that compelled my first surrender and opened the door to Eternal Light and the purpose for my existence. I am now gratefully at peace with the knowledge that my eternal destination is secure. The words of Chapter 5 are simple but clear, "We asked His protection and care with complete abandon." As I abandon my desire to become my own worst nightmare and accept the future God has planned for me before the foundations of space and time I need only place my weaknesses before Him and failure is replaced by forgiveness and fear is replaced by faith. He is my Constant Compass and His Word is now my map. My one true and only source of security, in every insecurity, encountered throughout this day.

    Todays devotion: Holy Father, as I begin this new day I exalt You by seeking to uphold righteousness in my life, which comes from being right with You. I humbly confess whatever may keep me from being in a right relationship with You. Forgive me for the idols of my heart. Forgive me for being insensitive to other peoples needs. Forgive me for any self-sufficiency that makes it difficult to hear Your loving direction throughout this day. It is by faith in You that I am made righteous in Your sight. Help me to humbly trust You and follow Your guidance in all that I say and do. Empower me today, Lord, to do what You would have me to do. Show me the way..



    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic




    ReplyDelete
  5. A Grateful Recovering Alcoholic how true "my one true source of security, in every insecurity."...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my experience, I have learned the hard way. I am to be self-aware and inventory the good and the bad. I have strengthens and liabilities. I need to be honest withself about who I am and grow towards who God wants me to be...my nature and self-will make me stuck, not being able to trust. When I am willing to believe and trust and rely upon God I begin to have more hope and faith. I have a profound lack of acceptance ( self-acceptance) at times, I am impatient and want things to be and look and feel a certain way on my time and my terms. I have heard before that God is never late, how to surrender and truly let go and let God? I can continue to walk towards living in the will of God. The burning desire is there, I must believe that I am moving towards the light. I truly desire to be who God would like me to be....����

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica love when you wrote "i need to be honest about myself." shows a lot of humility...thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete