Thursday, May 3, 2018

Self Will Or God's Will?

The importance of Step Three is that a decision is made (in fact it is a final choice) for our thought process to no longer be propelled by our human instincts (our self will) but rather by the will of God through inspiration.  Inspiration is defined as, "the thoughts of God implanted in the mind and soul of man."
            The Third Step is, "We mad  e a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him."  In the Big Book Alcoholics Anonymous in the chapter "How It Works" it states, "The first requirement (in taking the Third Step) is that we be convinced that any life run on self will can hardly be a success." As stated prior to this, "Remember that we deal with alcohol, cunning, baffling, powerful.  Without help it is to much for us.  But there is One who has all power -that One is God. May you find Him now!"  The chapter goes further in stating, "Selfishness - self-centerednes! That, we think, is the root of our troubles... So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of  self will run riot..."  Self will is our thought process propelled by our human instincts. In the Big Book it says "above everything we alcoholics must be rid of this selfishness and there seems no way of entirely getting rid of self without His aid."


                 I learned in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous that we have three basic instincts, a social, sexual and security instinct.  These instincts are God given and necessary for life but in us we can never get enough of what it is we think we need .  The great psychiatrist Sigmund Freud defines an instinct as "a bodily need manifested in our thought process."  It is there that our character defects exist - but these same defects, which will always exist to some extent in our human nature, cannot possibly be manifested in our behavior when our thought process is propelled by God's will, through inspiration.

Written By Armand

6 comments:

  1. As Step's 1 & 2 imply, the initial catalyst for reaching out to the God of my understanding was absolute desperation in that I had exhausted every other known earthly option or avenue that would, or could, extricate me from the self imposed dilemma of my dreadful situation and the consequences thereof. I had deliberately chosen to live a life in direct opposition to the known will of God whenever my unsated appetites beckoned and finding myself, by my own design, on the precipice of an eternity staring squarely into the bows of a continuous living hell.

    This time there was no employment of my well honed negotiating skills. No shallow foxhole prayers, only to immediately fall back to my alcohol fueled journey into debauchery once the immediate crisis had passed. This time was different. This alcoholic knew it was an ignominious and eternal death or complete surrender. And as I later learned; that revelation, like a white hot lightning bolt that burst into the core of my being, was a gift from a Loving Father that had not, and will not ever give up on me.

    My entire life of rebellion was instantaneously revealed in space and time. Yet, immersed in that encounter with the God of all Eternity was a love and compassion beyond telling. He wasn't asking for all that I was willing to surrender at that time, but the one thing I still wished to hold back.. Yet, as Jesus lovingly beckoned I finally, fatefully spiritually collapsed and surrendered the one thing that had always stood in the way of my redemption, me...

    As I pored my life out at His feet, all of the guilt and shame associated with my past was immediately washed away. I was, in the most profound sense reborn. From that point on following the Steps was assured. Not easy... but assured, and has, together with study and inspired implementation of His Word brought me into a time of refreshment and joy of living that is well beyond my wildest dreams. Today, life is a bountiful continuous lyric of "Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me... I was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see"..

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic you are not a miracle but what has ocurred for you is...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. In The Big Book program of recovery, I learned that two essential elements had to occur. First, I had to fearlessly face myself in order to let go of those defects which propelled the juggernaut of my self-will. Secondly, I would have to learn to trust in order to believe in anyone or anything, including myself. I would have to incorporate all Twelve Steps into my life in an effort to awaken my dormant spirit and, thereby develop a personal relationship with The Power Within me. As a result, and through the continuing enthusiastic practice of The Steps, I am aware of the difference between my will and His Will for me. And while my human nature is going nowhere, it is no match for the divine spirit within me and within all of us. The real gift is that this certainty is a matter of my spirit and not my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael In How It Works in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous it says "to let go absolutely." A recovered Alcoholic has...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  4. Alcohol is cunning baffling and powerful and my only hope is to find a Higher Power and pray for guidance and help in solving the drink problem which is a symptom of my spiritual malady. I can have the misery back at any time if I cease working the steps. Therefore I must never forget where I came from and where I can return to if I stop practising the principles of AA. I know what Gods will Is and the difference when its my will. I pray I can remain in Gods will and lead a sane and sober life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne inventory amends and pray and meditation move us away from our nature to live in the will of God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete