Thursday, May 17, 2018

No Need To Create A Past

 The program of Alcoholics Anonymous has in place the fabric necessary to weave through and heal our character defects - whether they surface in our daily or our spot check inventories.  If and when necessary we use the Ninth Step which is, "Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others."  If we decide that an amend is necessary we immediately make it in an effort to live in the present. Only in the present can we be in the will of God, where His grace saves us from creating another past which we will need to extricate ourselves from. Once performed, we thread into the necessary fabric The Seventh Step, "Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings."  If our actions cause us to have any shame or guilt, we then use the Fifth Step of the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, "Admitted to God, to ourselves and another human being the exact nature of our wrongs" so that we may be living in the present with a clean slate and a serene mind.
          If we are willing to take our inventories, make our amends, ask God to remove our defects, and share our wrongs with ourselves, God and another human being there will be NO NEED TO CREATE A PAST.  We will have the freedom to exist in the present - in the will of God.
          As alcoholics we have worked hard to free ourselves from our past. If we are willing to weave the program of Alcoholics Anonymous into our lives in such a way that it becomes our life than the creation of a past that, at least subconsciously, is having a negative effect on our present consciousness, will not occur. This is a critical tool in permanent recovery.

Written by Armand

4 comments:

  1. Without a vital spiritual experience, a psychic change, a spiritual awakening, I am bound to re-create some form of my past. It may not even include alcohol but it will include my defects of character and, therefore, lead me to a place of isolation and regret. My human nature is so limited that, untreated through the program of recovery, I can assure myself of self-will run amok at some point in my life. On the other hand, by incorporating The Twelve Steps into my life in such a way that they become my life, I am gifted with the limitlessness of the spirit. I am not imprisoned to the past or to the future but am free to live in this moment and the boundless energy it brings. There is no greater gift than this freedom from self-bondage, this awareness of The Power Within me. In that state of being, all things are possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael just love when you wrote "I am gifted with the limitlessness of the spirit. I am not imprisoned in the past or to the future but am free to live in this moment and the boundless energy it brings."...Well said...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having been miraculously delivered from a self imposed prison of misdirected survival skills that fund me at the precipice of an ignominious death, my bow has now been broken and the bent, featherless arrows that once filled my quiver are now willingly abandoned. Yet, even as I have willingly passed the pen to the Master Planner the move from prisoner to pilgrim is not always without struggle. Life is not a consistent encounter with rainbows, pixie-dust and unicorns. I still must contend with the ever-present seductions of the world and although now graciously subdued, the ever present calling of the appetites of my flesh. But throughout every encounter His grace abounds. This new life is no longer dependent upon me. The eternal struggle is no longer encountered alone and the mystery for managing the transition has now been laid before me with a simple clarity that only comes through an ever expanding relationship with the only true source of Power, Light and Love.

    That divine gift of willingness, that first "grain of a mustard seed of faith," spoken of in Matthew 19-20; is no longer light years away but now grows by every encounter with life's former problems and perplexities into a deep and abiding faith. They become desired gifts from above as they reveal the only true touchstones of faith, love and compassion that grows an unyielding devotion to the Author and Finisher of this new journey into the unspeakable and eternal richness of the mind and plan of God.

    The Author provides the Holy Spirit who now resides within me. He reminds me of the simple steps that first brought me to this place. He teaches that truth without love is pride and that love without truth is mere sentimentality. That the purpose of life and all of His creation is an eternal relationship by, with and through Him. When all around seems vexed and troubled. When confusion and conflict abound. When I've allowed undue fear and unreasonable expectations to fracture fragile relationships He compels the surrender of every encounter within life's lesson plan and gently reminds it has been lovingly written into eternity, just for me, that I may continue to discover Him as He truly is and share His healing presence with all whom I have harmed.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic a life so described by you is a gift through the Grace of God...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete