Thursday, November 24, 2016

Self-Centeredness

           
When I become angry or resentful, it is in that moment that I manifest my human SELF-CENTEREDNESS.  In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous it says "that we think is the root of our troubles."  It also goes on to say "It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness.  To the precise point that we permit these do we squander the hours that might have been worthwhile.  But with the alcoholic whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave.  We found it fatal!  For when harboring such thoughts we cut ourselves off from the sunlight of the spirit."
           The solution to our alcoholism is a vital spiritual experience.  We must give life to our relationship with God.  We accomplish this by turning from our human nature and living in the will of God.  We receive God's will through inspiration conditioned by prayer  and meditation.  We can't possibly be in the will of God when we are manifesting SELF - CENTEREDNESS in our lives , but by sobrogating our human nature to the will of God we cannot possibly manifest the SELF - CENTEREDNESS of our human nature in our behavior.



Written by Armand

2 comments:

  1. Why would we hold on to anything which ultimately yields only futility and unhappiness? For me, the answer was that I did not know any better. I may have known I was poisoning myself but how to turn poison into medicine was the multi-year conundrum. Self-centerdness created and prolonged a spiritual blockage whose final destination was gloom at best, and doom at worst. In a way, I was both the jailed and the jailkeeper. Only by incorporating all Twelve Steps into my life until they became my life and my way of life was I able to find the freedom of me and The Power Within me in the presence of Whom all things are possible. Alcohol was but a symptom of my problem. My love for myself and for others is now the bedrock of my behavior. My behavior today is both the symptom and the action of that love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael when an alcoholic is healed of their self centeredness, they are no longer manifesting self in their behavior but the love of God...Thank you so much...Armand

    ReplyDelete