Monday, November 14, 2016

The Real Problem

What a beautiful program Alcoholics Anonymous is. Not only does it relieve our uncontrollable use of alcohol but is applicable to each and every problem in our lives.
       
We come to A A because we desire to stop drinking alcohol and are unable to do so on our own.  Alcohol severely impacts our lives, our minds, and our bodies.  We discover through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous that alcohol, of itself, is not and was not the problem - it is but a symptom of the problem.  The real problem with us as alcoholics (and addicts of any and all types) is self-centered fear. We are afraid we will not get what we want... and afraid to lose what we have.
       
When any of our human instincts are threatened we overreact until we make the decision in the Third Step of the program to turn our thoughts and our actions over to the care of God. Once we do this we are on our way to a serene and peaceful life.  The integration of the remaining steps into our lives leads us to a life in which we are praying and meditating on a daily basis.  When praying we ask only for the knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out. Remaining in that present state of mind, in the will of God, we do not drink. In God's hands all of our problems are solved.

God is the solution to the real problem. Once we are in His will we do not overreact when we think that our human instincts are threatened as we are trusting in His safety and serenity. May you find Him and his comfort now.

2 comments:

  1. In this post, you have clearly delineated my experience with the real problem and the real solution. Self-centered fear compelled me to drink to oblivion, caring nothing for the discards left in my wake. Caring only for more - insatiable, inscrutable, inexplicable - just more. Step Three, the "final-choice" Step set the remainder of the program of recovery in motion in my life. In Step Three, I finally learned that my thinking and my behavior had to be put into the hands of a Power Greater than myself. The amazing awakening was that This Power already resided within me and within all of us. Incorporating the remaining Steps into a spiritual program of action (and nothing less) made the awareness of The Power Within loving, personal, and real. I now know that I was looking for the solution long before I had the problem. But the problem had to occur just as this vital spiritual experience had to occur for me to honor and love my life. And to then give it away, just the way it was given to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael alcohol is but a symptom of the problem, the Real Problem is self centered fear, afraid that I am not oing to get what I what, afraid that I am going to lose what I have. The solution, a vital spiritual experience. I must give life to my experience with God by surrendering my nature to the will of God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete