Monday, November 7, 2016

Serenity

          Serenity is the absence of conflict in our thoughts.  We who have committed ourselves to the program (the Twelve Steps) of Alcoholics Anonymous have deemed that it is the program itself which must come first in our lives. Alongside such a commitment comes a personal relationship with a supreme power, such as God. Living by these honorable ideals ushers the blessings of serenity into the stream of our lives - no matter what transpires.
              
              In the Alcoholics Anonymous literature, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, such a paragon way of living is elucidated:  "We are no longer frightened and purposeless.  The moment we catch even a glimpse of God's will, the moment we begin to see truth, justice and love as the real and eternal things in life, we are no longer deeply disturbed by all the seeming evidence to the contrary that surrounds us in purely human affairs.  We know that God lovingly watches over us."
             
             By integrating the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous into our lives in such a way that they become our lives, and by manifesting the principles of those steps in our behavior, we have the opportunity to have safe and serene lives. Remembering that joy is not the absence of sorrow, but the presence of God … experience serenity we will.

2 comments:

  1. My desire for serenity is infinitely stronger now that I know what it is, and that it exists within me. Before taking the action and doing the work the program "suggests," I did all I could to find peace of mind and heart. I was a copious meeting-maker, had a successful career, raised childtren, ran marathons, volunteered in community efforts. Serenity still eluded me; something was still missing at my deepest depth. The awareness of this absence motivated me to find someone who seemed to have what I wanted but could not achieve without tender guidance and simple instructions. The Big Book became a living and growing part of my much-needed recovery. The Twelve Steps became incorporated into my life in a way that they became my life, and, as a direct result, I found The
    Power Within me, the source of serenity. It is through the experience of living within the program of recovery that I have found what I was looking for - me. The freedom to be the me that I was created to be is now the essence of my daily living. No matter what, serenity is present. It is real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Just love "the freedom to be the me I was created to be." I have come to understand that some will criticize our behavior and that is ok but in a personal relationship with God and an obedience to His will we are behaving in the way He intended. With that comes Serenity...Thank you...Armand

      Delete