Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Root of the Problem


It is through all our experience with our character defects that we've realized and recognized, set boundaries and applied cognitive therapy and behavioral modification but all to no avail - using these methods is like applying a band aid to a festering sore. What we really must do is get to the root of the problem. Our character defects exist in our human nature, not in the will of God. Therefore, if we are willing to perform the work necessary for the Spirit to be awakened within us by living in the back half of The Eleventh Step, "Praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out" (Alcoholics Anonymous) , our character defects will not and cannot possibly manifest in our behaviors. The power to carry out such knowledge must come from God, as our human nature will only try to sustain our selfish desires. Once we have taken this step we have pulled the root of the problem from it's poisonous soils.
          Some of us have learned through our experiences that we must do this - turn from our human nature and live in the will of God - if our character defects are not to exist in our behavior. Many of us have not.  In Alcoholics Anonymous it is often said, "Let go and let God."  The "let go" part is in the letting go of our thought process propelled by our human instincts. The "let God" part is thereafter, in which we surrender to the idea that God will propel our thought process through His inspiration.  Inspiration is defined as "the thoughts of God implanted in the mind and soul of man."  When this transformation of thought has occurred, the root of the problem has truly been healed.         
 Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

6 comments:

  1. I know that both the root of the problem and the Source of the solution both exist within me. The problem exists in my mind. The solution exists in my soul. There is no other explanation for it because no other explanation exists. For as long as I live in my human nature, powered by my self-centered thinking, I will live without complete peace of mind. As The Step Book states in Step 1, "of real happiness, I will find none at all." The incorporation of The Twelve Steps into my life, and my subsequent trust in the process of Recovery has somehow, some way brought me to a personal relationship withThe Power Within me which has changed my life in a way that words cannot adequately articulate. But I know it and I feel it. And I know that, as it was freely given to me, I must freely give it away. That is gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael love when you wrote "The problem exists in my mind. The solution exists in my soul." The purpose of the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous is to change the source of our power. That our thought process could no longer be propelled by our human instinct but rather by the will of God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  2. This Comment Is From A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic
    Thanks for Sharing Armand,

    Self centered fear and pride exquisitely describe the motive force that propels every person who is absolutely inwardly convinced that the entire known universe was uniquely and exclusively created just for them and that anyone who disagrees should be bound, tortured and executed for treason. This is the primal delusion that must be rooted out and tossed into the pit from which it originated. Yet, even with that experiential knowledge I have proven countless times over that It cannot be accomplished without Devine intervention. Even when I inwardly agree that the course I choose will ultimately lead to self destruction I will still "throw the dice" hoping for a better outcome and that, my friend, is insanity... Simple knowledge of my condition is of no avail until I fully accept that I'm completely, utterly and constitutionally incapable of overcoming my own will and that any self directed effort in this arena is tantamount to placing a hair net over the space shuttle with the expectation of preventing the launch.

    Any attempt at "externally" practicing the 12 Steps of AA without acknowledging an absolute dependence upon God who is the Author of same may, for a time, experience a "white knuckle" form of recovery, but have none of the peace, serenity, power and assurance that is the promise of a life lived in the arms of their Savior and Lord. Any self proclaimed "knight of the realm" who refuses his Armor and attempts to confront their inward beast with the "sharp pointy stick" of their own inward attributes will inevitably be reduced to, well... dragon droppings. There is only One who can enter the tomb and breathe life into the fetid state of a soul so dammed . That one is God. May you find him now.

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
  3. a Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic Alcoholism is a unique disease in that it is two fold..We suffer from a physical allergy and a mental obsession. An Alcoholic can not drink and still suffer from untreated alcoholism. The mental obession is the crux of the problem and is treated by a psychic change infused by the grace of God...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  4. "As one gains more and more familiarity with true prayer, it becomes clear that actually a God directed transformation of thought is the essence of answered prayer. " Mark Swinney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spiritual Being Thank you so much for sharing that...Armand

    ReplyDelete