Monday, February 1, 2016

The Main Problem


    The "Big Book" of Alcoholics Anonymous says, "But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink. We know that while the alcoholic keeps away from drink... he reacts much like other men. We are equally positive that once he takes any alcohol whatever into his system, something happens, both in the bodily and mental sense, which makes it virtually impossible for him to stop.  The experience of any alcoholic will abundantly confirm this.  These observations would be academic and pointless if the alcoholic never took the first drink thereby setting the terrible cycle in motion.  Therefore, the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather then in his body." 

        If the problem centers in our minds and we use our reasoning power in an attempt to solve our problem, than we are trying to solve our problem with our problem.  This will never work, as many of our own experiences prove.  We continued to drink alcoholically even though we knew we shouldn't and  certainly did not want to.  Lack of power - that is our dilemma. We must find a new source of power to propel our thoughts.  Our thought process can no longer be propelled by our human instincts but rather by the will of God through inspiration.
       Once we find that source of power - that is God.  We have subrogated our thought process to  His will and we are now at peace.  Our prayer, at this and each moment, is that anyone who suffers from addiction, whether actively or not, may find God as the very chief source of their power.  

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra
 

2 comments:

  1. Powerless - what a pitiful way to live life. What a deadly playground for isolation, self-pity, resentment and fear. I know. I lived there. So I drank, until I could drink no more. The main problem included my mind and excluded my spirit. No power. Until I allowed The Twelve Steps to work in my everyday life, and through that process found The Power Within me Who had always been there. By finding out where I must live, I found out how I must live. I've learned that Inspiration comes through the thoughts of God implanted into the mind and soul of man. Our minds need do nothing. We are implanted deeply and firmly with the Truth. We are no longer self-propelled. We are Spirit-propelled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael As you wrote "by finding where I must live, I found out how I must live." The where and the how of it is surrendered in the will of God. There we will presently live in the fourth dimension of life, joyful and at peace...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete