Thursday, January 7, 2016

Powerlessness Understood

             
Once much has been accomplished and an ample portion of the program of Alcoholics Anonymous completed, the personal relationship with and the dependence upon God take on much deeper and all-encompassing meanings.
               In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous in the chapter "How It Works" it says, "We are in the world to play the role God assigns."  We, who have learned through our experience,  know this can be accomplished through the practice of the Twelve Steps.  Specifically it is in the Tenth Step, through daily examination, through which we uncover our character defects and their continuous manifestation in our behavior. Despite this action and reaction to life not being how and what we want it is still powerfully prevalent.  It is here, in the conflict of not wanting to manifest our character defects in our behavior but POWERLESS over such occurrences that we are thrown back into Step One. There, in the midst of Step One we can see so very clearly how we are not only powerless over our use of alcohol and drugs but powerless over every single aspect of our lives.  We had previously learned at a cognitive level that our lives must be given to the care and direction of God - but now, through our personal experiences, we can perceive this with more clarity and at a much deeper and consequential level.
               It is in the taking of the daily inventory that we begin to fully understand the power and pervasiveness of our character defects encoded into our human nature.  To overcome the manifestation of our character defects in our behavior we must subrogate our human nature and utterly abandon ourselves to the will of God. For it is in the infinite power and love of Him that we are healed.

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra 

7 comments:

  1. I understand Power. From years of futility and energy-waste, I realize I was plugged in to the wrong power source - my unaided will. It was my mind that brought me there. There were no other choices, so I drank savagely and searchingly. I found nothing but broken hearts, broken dreams, broken hearts. A broken and powerless life. No longer desperately defiant, I found AA and felt the first flickers of strength. But, as you point out, it was only by incorporating The Twelve Steps into my daily living that I was able to draw closer to that Personal Powerful Relationship that re-ignited my soul. There had never been a time in my life when t I've felt such Trust, Peace and Companionship. I know The Power because I feel The Power The Tenth Step promises and The Eleventh Step delivers. My mind has been relieved of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael In Alcoholics Anonymous we say "this is what has worked for us." I say "if you can find another way, have at it." Yes Michael it is only through integrating the program into our life in such a way that it becomes are life that we are healed. Powerlesness is clearly understood when we don't want to and know we shouldn't but still either drink and or manifest our character defects in our life. We learn that there is One with the power, that one is God may you find Him now...Thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turning my will and life over to God is humility that opens up an awareness of connection with Source. Humility is reliance on God that has realized a state of surrender or powerlessness. This sort of powerlessness opens us to a vast wealth of Spirit. God created assets in me appreciate exponentially thru non-egotistical identification. (As coming from God, not "me"). God in expression of positive qualities like wisdom, creativity, curiosity, open mindedness, courage, persistence, integrity, vitality, love, kindness, social intelligence, social responsibility, fairness, forgiveness, humility, appreciation of excellence, love of learning, hope, humor and spirituality. Keeping my eyes on God in 10th step work can also include gratitude for all that has been, can and will be overcome by the grace of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiritual Being Welcome as this is the first time that you have commented and comments are appreciated. Humility is the key that unlocks the door to the grace of God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  4. This comment is from A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic
    rmand,

    The preceding steps have born witness to my birth into a new, personal and eternal relationship with God. I now know His name and am confident that I can bring anything to His feet with the absolute assurance that He will provide me with all that I need to overcome my defects and continue to walk in His will. Step 10 is the inward call and practice of, discipleship. Having accepted this "call" I'm compelled to embrace the ongoing death of my old life through the resurrection or renewal of my newfound life in Christ through the continuous flow of grace that He provides.

    It is a dynamic living concept and as steps 11 and 12 make clear, implies multiplication. Although I once bristled at the mere mention of His name I now fervently seek out the Author and Finisher of my faith. In Romans Chapters 7 and 8, St Paul, who shared his instant struggles of powerlessness amidst temptation in his own devoted life clearly explains this inward battle and ultimate solution.

    Romans 7:21 " I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. 22 I love God’s law with all my heart. 23 But there is another power* within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? 25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin. So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. 2 And because you belong to him, the power of the life giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death."

    A Grateful Recovering Alcoholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic Just love that line in the Bible " that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong." The purpose of the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous is for our thought process to be transformed so that my thought processes is no longer propelled by my human instinct but rather by the will of God through inspiration...Thank you so much...Armand

      Delete
  5. As AA is not a "religious program" but an effort toward spiritual growth, another analogy. The dark confined, isolated cocoon where "alcoholism"(my thinking/behavior) left me were in the end were suffocating. If a caterpillar stays in it's cocoon too long, it dies. That a butterfly emerges isn't the caterpillar's doing, but it chews it's way out. Life enfolds. I can enjoy the mystery. Through the transforming power of Spirit, the past (my caterpillar-ness) no longer dictates my future (my butterfly-ness).

    ReplyDelete