Monday, January 18, 2016

Experience The Third Step Prayer

Having admitted complete defeat; having admitted to our innermost self that we were alcoholic; having come to the understanding that human power could not overcome our alcoholism; having begun to trust in God as a solution to our problem -- we were now at Step Three. Step Three occurred when we decided, when we made a final choice, to turn our will (which is our thoughts) and our life (which is our behavior) over to the care of God.  Going forward  we make a final choice that our thought process will no longer be propelled by our human instinct but rather by the will of God. 
          We get down on our knees and bow our heads praying, "God I offer myself to thee - To build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"
          This is an important and critical step for the beginning of the transformation of our thought process, which is essential and must occur, if we are to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.  However, this is only the beginning.  Now that we have taken a Third Step we must complete the remaining steps so that the transformation of our thought process is complete.  Once completed, we can receive the full benefits of the Third Step Prayer. We can trust in God for not only a solution to our addiction but as a solution to all of our problems.

Written by Armand
Edited by Caitlin Alexandra

6 comments:

  1. My thinking led to my drinking even though I knew it was a bad idea. More than anything, I found relief in drinking, relief from my thinking. So I drank and simply traded one tyrant for another. Many years ago my drinking stopped but my thinking, as propelled by my self-image, continued. I was sober but my alcoholism remained largely untreated. The Third Step was a great enabler in changing that precarious state of mind and being. When I saw that the power of my thoughts could be quieted only by The Greater Power Within me, my thinking and my life began to change and to shift toward peace. I learned that I had to trust in the process of incorporating all Twelve Steps into my daily living and, thus, develop a personal relationship with The Power Already Within me. Today I gratefully understand what it means to be relieved of the bondage of self. The greatest freedom I have ever known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael just love when you wrote "relief from my thinking".. The purpose of the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous is to change that which propels our thought process and if that transformation occurs there is no relief needed...Thank you ...Armand

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment Is from A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic Thanks for sharing Armand,

    How many years were wasted trying to plot the day's journey using an outdated map with missing pages over harrowing terrane impossible to cover only to finally discover the GPS in my glove box had been there all along. Just plug it in, follow the directions and enjoy the ride, assured of arrival at the final destination. As each day begins with opportunities masquerading as complex problems I need not fear any outcome for by His grace I've decided to place all that I am or ever hope to be firmly in the hands of the Master Planner. And so, I begin each day with a simple prayer:

    "Lord God, as I begin this day I acknowledge my total dependence upon You. Revelation of Your truth comes in relationship with You, and Your inspiration is given when I am illuminated with Your Spirit. Therefore, as I enter and prepare for this day's decisions I now open my innermost mind to the inflow of Your Spirit."

    A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gratefully Recovering Alcoholic If an alcoholic is to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body that same alcoholic must subrogate their human nature to the will of God...Thank you...Armand

      Delete
  4. Man cannot do what only God can... http://vicleonard.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victor Well said and thank you...Armand

    ReplyDelete